BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roman Plam IV sleeping bag......

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wandering if any of you out there have a roman palm IV sleeping bag, rated to +5 degrees comfort rating and what you think of them? The reason I ask is because recently feedback on them has been pretty poor. I have had mine for a few years and have not really had any issues. Basically just trying to define weather people are expecting way too much from the bag or are they really that bad and my standards a bit low, haha......

Cheers

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think generally people expect too much. I have an old army bag for winter it's heavy and bulky but oh so warm. Light and compact does not trap much warmth. I have used something similar (snugpak softie 3) and although rated to -5c I have used it at 0c and was cold.

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
I don't have the Palm IV, but I do use an older Roman Extremelite +5 deg bag. Packs down small and is great for the tropics and for summer use, but too cold by itself this time of year, particularly in a hammock.

I have added an old 60s-vintage army "silk" (actually polyester or nylon) sleeping bag liner and it easily adds 5 degrees to the comfort rating.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I agree, I also have an old army issue winter weight bag that I use most of the time..... The roman is pretty much my summer bag.....

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Not knowing what the exact negative feedbacks were/are about I agree with Mongoose people expect too much they also really don't understand the product info. What I mean take the ratings of a bag, most bag ratings are either worked out by the materials used (guessed) or tested in controlled environments.They also assume everyone is the same.

Each individual, natural environment and how it is being used is going to affect the manufactures ratings and specs so you need to test/find and use equipment that suits you and your needs.

Last edited:

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/roman-palm-series.html Has a couple of pages of reviews on different Palm series bags. It's clear from reading it that people are expecting big swag bag performance from something which crushes down to smaller than a footy.

One particular comment indicated that a user was surprised that you had to use the compression straps on the stuff sack to end up with something as small as the product photos :non sono stato io:

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
haha, that's sounds about right......

On that note I wish I could fit a swag bag in my pack, I have a double swag bag for when I take the mrs and kids camping, warmest thing I have ever slept in......