BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Rough Rider RR1869 fixed blade ..

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

??????????????/
What can I say , there are people out there crowing about this knife = ???????????
So I kind off had to ........... buy one ........ just to see .......... for myself ......... who's full of it ............ or not !
Please feel free to do a youtube search for reviews in regards to this knife !
Don't take my word for anything !
As I can only speak for the RR in my possession !

Things not to like .. = 2

1) Finger grove , fits my finger so well ... That if I try to shift my grip it becomes a PITA
2) Righ at the top of the grove , it becomes a hotspot if you try to shift your hand forward ( Very annoying )

Other than those two things ( and in hind sight ) , the very poor factory edge performance ( 50 slice fail ) and the insanely easy strop back !
Ohhhhhhhh ! Is a this going to be a JUNK KnIFE ?
In the video I mention 80 grit ............... but no no no !
It will be the regular go to 22 deg Guided knife sharpener edge ..
The HRC was 55/50 ( 55 Bites / 50 Skates )
Back soon for a 2nd bite of the rope !

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I try as much possible no to buy anything form China. Few reason"s for this but mainly the totalitarian government and human rights abuses. Just my personal point of view not on a getting soap box or anything.

That been said is hard to live in the moden world without some items being made in China.

As far as cheaper cuting tools go hard beat Mora knifes for the price point .

Last edited:

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hmmm , Mora is a deal in the USA / Europe ... We pay in Oz . ( For a Mora )
Many brand names are made in China , some falsely marked - Made in the ....
Yeah , Human rights abuses ..............

Where do you start and stop with that ?
I mean ........... Australia is guilty of human rights abuses / International agreement violations ...
USA / England and does one need to make a list ...
Most of SE Asia is violating human rights ..
India / Pakistan ...

So if you didn't make it yourself ? U might have purchased it from a country that abuses human rights !
Again , just which human rights abuses are U recognising ? and not recognising ?
Cos you just opened a crate of land mines !

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Mora is a good deal even in Australia.

No government is or country is perfect you just have to follow your own moral compass.

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Mora is a good deal even in Australia.

No government is or country is perfect you just have to follow your own moral compass.
Well , when I think about what Australia has done ! And how little to nothing has been done to correct those actions / wrongs ..
How can one possibly condemn anyone else ? ( Well you can )
Something about cleaning ones own house , and hypocricy .

I'm not buying a knife from the Chinese Gooberment !
Just like I'm not buying a knife from the Australian Gooberment or the American Gooberment !
I'm buying from people at the mercy of the powers that be ...
Just as we are at the mercy of the powers that be ( anyone remember 23 hour house arrest ? ) , so the Chinese are at the mercy of their Dictator Dan's .

If one blames the Chinese people for the actions of their leaders ? Then the Australian people are to blame for the actions of their leaders !

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Oh I do ...
But you , Said !

I try as much possible no to buy anything form China. Few reason"s for this but mainly the totalitarian government and human rights abuses. Just my personal point of view not on a getting soap box or anything.

If your looking for a totalitarian Gooberment , you only need to look at home !
10 / 20 years from now ... Oz might be just like China ! .............. Maybe worse !
Did you ever think you would need a travel permit in Australia ? ( 5km from home permit )
A lawful excuse to leave your home ?
Have your movements tracked ?

Didn't take much for Oz to go fully Commi ! Made Stalin look inadequate .

And where were your rights ? Oh that's right , Australians dont have rights .. They have privileges !

Rights can't be cancelled or taken away because they are inconvenient , but privileges can .
As was only recently and vividly proven !
If I'm going to care about human rights , or totalitarian Gooberments ,,, I only need to look to home and the direction we are going in .

Covid was a joke perpetrated on the Sheeple of Australia .. A joke at state and federal levels !
And for those with their eyes open , a peek A boo at how stupid our politicians can be ( and Dangerous ) .

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Joseph Stalin is directly responsible for the deaths of millions of humans. Your statement is melodramatic to say the least ..

Anyway such debate is outside the remit of this forum. My personal preference is to avoid Chinese made knifes..

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Joseph Stalin is directly responsible for the deaths of millions of humans. Your statement is melodramatic to say the least ..

Anyway such debate is outside the remit of this forum. My personal preference is to avoid Chinese made knifes..
And did we need to know that ? ( Ur preference )
John Howard helped kill half a million people and destroy a nation - Evil is as evil does !!
I'm still waiting to see this country up hold the virtues it claims to uphold !

Yes ! Lots of Evil people in the world ..
ANd quite frankly I dont discriminate = I despise them all !

Stalin is long gone ! But lots of evil people still alive and free ...

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Now for what I really wanted to post :

I think I said in the video that the Bevel was FUBAR to the naked eye ?
It's horrendously bad !
Each side of the bevel is at a different angle ..
One side was like 20 and the other side like 25 ..
Did I say it looked crooked / bent ... It was toward the tip ..
In fact around one inch + from the tip back was just garbage ..
I had to pull out a fresh 120 grit diamond to remove and straighten the FUBAR factory grind .. And after almost 30 minutes , there is still FUBAR near the tip ( It can stay there ) should not affect testing ..
THe grind was like , the blind guys seeing eye dog did the edge !

Ok , still 10mm on one side and around 15mm of FUBAR on the other side near the tip .. When the knife goes on the grinder , ill clean it up .
One shaving sharp knife ready for the rope ! Except near the tip !
I would rate that factory edge top 10 worst factory grinds ( Easily ) ... Ever !

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Ok 22 degree guided knife sharpener edge cuts rope !
I took paper outside to slice ( slice test ) .. & it soaked up some moisture !
I called it a 200 Fail outside , but after slicing some paper that was inside ............... I would have called it a pass !
So , it might have been in reality a 250 Fail rather than the 200 fail . ( Winter sux's ) ...

60 grit ...
I did quite a bit of FUBAR removal ..

IMGP1400.jpg

The wetstone grinder shows up things like this ^
Pictured is a dip or hollow in the edge .. This comes about because some one lingered too long in one spot whilst forming the bevel .
I got rid of bout 99.8% of this FUBAR .. There is just a small amount left , and it should not affect the next slice test !
The wet stone grinder removes / eliminates mistakes like this with a nice straight bevel .. ( Got to like that ) .. It also shows up bad grinds , which can be disappointing to find !

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Wow . 60 grit @ 22 degrees ....................... Returned some 250 slices for a fail ..
So I would call that 250 / 250 @ 22 ( guided / ground @ 22 degrees )
At least it is consistent !
There was quite a bit of FUBAR to grind away ( wet stone grinder ) .. And just a small fraction of FUBAR remained .. Did it skew the results ? I dont think so ..

Anyways , I whipped out the 80 grit wheel and reground the edge at a slightly tighter angle .. So one more time and we can call it home and hosed !
Video Soon :

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hmmmm , I failed !
I wanted a tighter bevel and what I got was 21 degrees from 22 degrees ... That's one lousy degree of difference .
Performance was once again a 250 Fail ...
I really needed to tighten that bevel , but the 250mm wheel is a different animal to a 200mm wheel .

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
RR1869 .. Final

I reground the edge to as near 18 degree as I could @ 80 grit .
It took a good one hour to regrind the bevel .
Was it worth the effort ?
The result was a 400 roll ( fail ) . 400 slices with a rolled edge .
Edge stropped back very strong with minimal effort .