BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Serrated edge or no serrated edge?

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I am definitely a NON serrated edge kinda guy...I've never really seen the benefit, is there something I'm missing??

Does anyone like them/use them regularly? I'm soon to do a review of a friend's Ontario RAT 5 that had a fairly large section of serrated edge. It didn't win me over!

Anyway, what's your thoughts?

GB

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
I'm a razor edge guy myself...

The only time I will tolerate a serrated blade in my kit is when I'm climbing or canoe/kayaking to cut rope or in an emergency to cut away a tangle...

rslt

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have to say I don't like them.
I bought a spyderco fully serated knife over 10 years ago when I was doing a lot of caving and practicing cave rescue, I had it for cutting rope if in an emergency situation, well now it sits in my draw having never cut a thing, looked cool at the time but a waste of money.
You can still cut rope with a straight edge.

Graham

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Well i have to say it depends what you want it for. It really doesnt matter as long as it does what you need it to do.So if your smart and plan ahead you will no what you need to take with you to get the job done.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
serrated for over ripe tomatoes, every thing else, straight!

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
plain edge for me. But my knives only get used for carving and slicing cheese, so no use for serrations.