Shock proof/Water Proof Camera Options

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hi guys & gals with all the great feedback I received regarding dropping my hiking load I'm hoping I can get some similar suggestions regarding a shock proof & water proof camera.

I know there are a lot of options but one that stands out is the GoPro. It's about the same $$ as the others but it's primary function is obviously video recording.

Can it be used as a normal camera? Can you zoom with it?

Happy to hear other suggestions.
Cheers.

myneckisred

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have an Olympus camera the one off the add with French mastiff chewing. They are pretty much bullet proof and pretty good price to think around the $250 mark cheers Andre

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Benny, the Go-Pro can be used as a normal camera from what I understand but you are limited to the set focus on it.
I am working with a couple of blokes who have them and they use them for everything from 30m dive trips and hiking/canyoning trips through the jungle, to work tools where they record what they are doing and then review it later for training purposes (And I think are therefore hoping to claim it on tax lol)
From what they have said they rate them and they seem to be the go-to tool for recording.
I have a Fujifilm FinePix XP as I said in your other thread. I have had it now for about four-five months and so far it has proven its worth.
It has a stack of features which seem to be the norm on all of these cameras these days.
One thing I have grown to really like is the panorama mode, especially when you are in scenic locations.
1. It gives a better perspective of what you are actually seeing.
2. It makes a pleasant change from the standard photo format.

DSCF1247.jpg

Prior to this I had an Olympus UTough which was good but the panorama mode was not as good, relying on stitching technology rather than a moving pass over the scenery (If that makes sense).
One tip though with whatever format you go with make sure you have the dustproof, waterproof cover correctly in place and no gunk, sand etc in the seals.
I lent my Olympus to a mate so he could get some pix at the pool and now I have a Fujifilm, because the waterproof latch wasn't done up, apparently.
Another mate had a Go-Pro but had the cover which allowed better sound quality or something. Forgot and went diving. Ooops, new Go-Pro. He just about cried when the seal failed on that one because of some gunk and it leaked again.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers
Bloffy

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Benny, I'm a fan of Lumix cameras. I'm thinking of getting a rugged waterproof one for white water rafting the The Colorado through the Grand Canyon next year. The problem for me is the lower zoom level of these type of cameras.[ and possibly a narrower field of view] ....so maybe I'll risk my normal camera for the very handy longer zoom option, it's a tough decision and carting two cameras might be a pain. Sony have cameras that top the comparison lists too, but the Lumix does it for me particularly as the batteries swap with my and my partners cameras.

panasonic_lumix_dmc_ft20_00592295_800x600.jpg

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
i've also got one of the dog chewing olympus i got about five years ago.. good tough camera.
its supposed to be waterproof but problem is when you take a photo it opens up in front of the lense and at those few moments is not waterproof.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
i've also got one of the dog chewing olympus i got about five years ago.. good tough camera.
its supposed to be waterproof but problem is when you take a photo it opens up in front of the lense and at those few moments is not waterproof.
Fair dinkum! Thanks for the tip Bob, might give that one a miss! Kind of negates the whole feature in a way doesn't it.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Benny, I'm a fan of Lumix cameras. I'm thinking of getting a rugged waterproof one for white water rafting the The Colorado through the Grand Canyon next year. The problem for me is the lower zoom level of these type of cameras.[ and possibly a narrower field of view] ....so maybe I'll risk my normal camera for the very handy longer zoom option, it's a tough decision and carting two cameras might be a pain. Sony have cameras that top the comparison lists too, but the Lumix does it for me particularly as the batteries swap with my and my partners cameras.

View attachment 8158
I bought a Lumix waterproof camera a couple of years ago (I think it was much cheaper than the two pictured here so its probably the "base" model ?).
The camera has been snorkling and through several wet river trips and has held up fine.
My lumix required 2x disposable AAA batteries which is OK, but you don't get the same life as a dedicated battery - on the other hand, its easy and cheap to bring spares; the AAAs do last a long time.
(Yes, you can use rechargables if you like)

Overall its probably not a great camera, but it has certainly stood up to some rough, wet treatment. Without it I wouldn't have any pics at all because I would not have taken my normal camera.

A couple of tips :
- I added a (tiny amount) of silicon grease to the seals, to help them seal. I don't know if this was necessary but that's what I did.
(Silicon grease is "inert" will not attack the seals)

- I found that attaching the camera onto a lanyard around my neck meant that it was always quick to access and I didn't have to fiddel getting it out of a pouch (especially useful when in a canoe IMO).

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had the Olympus 1030 wich was and still is great, and waterproof shock proof and crush proof, and I can attest to its ability to handle all three. Brilliant Camera had it for years.

I also have the nikon AW100 Also waterproof though not as robust as the olypus. Takes better pictures though. I am very very happy with it too.

So there ya go, both have plusses and minuses but I think overall they are both really good.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Fair dinkum! Thanks for the tip Bob, might give that one a miss! Kind of negates the whole feature in a way doesn't it.
I would look into this a bit more... as it is absolutely certainly not the case with the 1030 or 1080, both of which I have taken snorkeling.

myneckisred

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I also have the cheap and nasty audiosonic water proof one from KMart only 59 bucks its not a very sturdy camera and the photos aren't going to get you a magazine contract.but I use it on pig hunts so if I lose it its not that big of a worry

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to go with Go Pro.

Its a proven tool and is ridiculously low priced for the quality of footage. Its so versatile as well..

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 8158

another Lumix FullHD owner here, we take it everywhere hiking - camping and "kayaking"..we also have the gel cover case...very happy with pics and video...quiet supprised how good the macro zoom was...
P1010307b.jpg

I think we all know what this little dude is.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I run the olympus tough tg310. I give it a hard time and it records my adventures. Fair deal!

+ lightish, waterproof - tested, drop tested - from stick pic height.
- cant zoom mid video, sound is not that good once you get past stick pic distance.

Seems to be a fair unit for the price $150... Cant ask for much more at that price.

Rusty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hey Benny,

I own a Gopro HD Hero 3, its water proof and basically indestructible. shoots video in full 1080p or if you want to spring the extra $$$$ and get the black version you can shoot videos in 1440p. The Great thing about the gopro is that it can be mounted any where and there are so many attachments you can get for them. As a camera pole i just use two cable ties and pick up a stick as im hiking.

The gopro can be used as a normal camera and is a damn good one in my opinion. you can get an app on your phone to wireless use it as an lcd view finder for the camera. No zoom though im affraid.

Untitled-1.jpg

This picture isnt as good quality as it really is because i had to compress it a bit down from 8mb

Last edited:

Rusty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hey Rusty, good idea aout the stick. How would doule sided velcro go as a strap? Reusable and more versatile IMHO.
Cheers
Bloffy
Yeah that would work a treat too, i never thought of that. The reason i used cable ties is that you can tie them down tight so you can thrash the camera about without any chance of it coming off. Another great thing about the gopro is how versatile it is, all you need is an idea and you have a new attachment. I used an old head lamp strap to make a head mount for my gopro for when i rock climb for fps style shots, just drilled a hole through the old head lamp mount and the gopro simply screws on and off.

here is a video of what quality you can expect from a gopro 3, Complete with a dog mount :)

Remember to watch in 720p!!

[video=youtube;f8jWhGp5pvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8jWhGp5pvw[/video]

Last edited: