BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me your under quilt!

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I use a small Thermrest sit pad when sitting around the fire & then put the same pad into my sleeping bag (under my feet) when I get into the hammock - toasty feet! The dimensions if the Thermarest are 400 x 300 mm.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Mine is aldi sleeping bag sews tabs around it and holding it below the hammock with shock cords

UB1_zps181d691d.jpg

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The foam i have been using is larger than i have seen others use, maybe that is why is doent move around. Its about 45 wide and 90 long. It folds three times and sits in mt ULA Ohm like a glove.

For summer hangs i have a bit of reflectix about the same size. It moves around a bit more, but in summer you dont really notice it.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My Goodness! just looked at Te-Wa's website but my brain started hurting from the overload of animated menus. What a truly horrible website, I'm not sure I could stand it long enough to place and order.

I really wish they spent more time taking decent pictures and making an accurate description of their product than they do writing useless Java script for their website that only succeeds in making it less user friendly.

Shame because it looks like a decent product, Doesn't really suit my need as I am after a full length quilt.

Now leaning towards the Wilderness Logics full length summer series UQ. The price is much more competitive than the other brands so I am thinking of the the package deal with the Top Quilt. Weight is 963grams for both quilts and at $320 it seems like good value.

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I picked up a full-length UQ off someone here on the forum (Jacks R Better -I think :_s: ) which, combined with my recently purchased -3C down sleeping bag, packs down in a compression sack to a small basketball size.
Previously I used a home-made Tyvek-styled u/pad which worked a treat. I still carry it in case I have to go to ground because it weighs nothing and is a good bit of kit.
But now, I use the UQ and down bag it is like heaven on a popstick. No cold spots, wind gets cut out and I wear pretty much my jocks, a T-shirt and a beany, even when I did the Stirling Ridge Walk recently. I use the sleeping bag as a quilt with just the foot done up and I am still warm.

DSCF3358.jpg

By contrast, I had to go to ground on the third night and despite being in a bivvy under a tarp and in my fully zipped bag, I still had cold spots throughout the night. Spot was a bit more exposed but weather was not much different to the first two nights.
Get a full UQ. You won't regret it. The weight difference is minimal and there's no phaffing with pads etc. Also, I use my UQ as a bit of storage space for my day clothing etc, Nothing too heavy but it's there when you want it first thing in the morning.
Just my tuppence worth.
Cheers
Bloffy

Last edited:

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Also, I use my UQ as a bit of storage space for my day clothing etc, Nothing too heavy but it's there when you want it first thing in the morning.

Nice idea. Probably keep sthe clothes a little warm as well. Nothing worse then getting out of a nice warm bed and having to put on cold clothing.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
My Goodness! just looked at Te-Wa's website but my brain started hurting from the overload of animated menus. What a truly horrible website, I'm not sure I could stand it long enough to place and order.

I really wish they spent more time taking decent pictures and making an accurate description of their product than they do writing useless Java script for their website that only succeeds in making it less user friendly.

Shame because it looks like a decent product, Doesn't really suit my need as I am after a full length quilt.

Now leaning towards the Wilderness Logics full length summer series UQ. The price is much more competitive than the other brands so I am thinking of the the package deal with the Top Quilt. Weight is 963grams for both quilts and at $320 it seems like good value.

Will the summer series be warm enough for you?

I have the Summer Series 3/4 under quilt and top quilt for my personal use, if you want I will do a test in the next few nights when temps should be down to 5 or below, I can see snow on the mountains from my back door! I have not used them in the real cold but this might give you an idea of how warm they are.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Wow Simon that's a great offer. Any feedback would be great!

I know it isn't rated quite as cool as I was intending but my thought process is that I can use the the under quilt with the sleeping bag if it is colder. Or the top quilt if it is warmer.

I tend to sleep in clothing, so that might get me another degree of warmth.

Last edited:

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
No problem. It's supposed to get cool on the weekend so I will freeze my arse off just for the sake of testing :;):.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
If you think a full length SS quilt will work for me after your experiment Simon, perhaps I can order the set through you? I know you don't have them in stock but If I paid in advance I could order the Under and top quilt as well as one of your pillows to give you the business. I understand this will cost a little more but the difference at least goes to an Aussie seller.

Would it be possible to order a pillow with an extra layer of fabric on one side left open at the end? This way I could stuff a jacket in there to beef the pillow up a little when needed?

Nicko

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Let's see how it goes first. So what temp would you be hoping for it to perform at? Mind you it will be a bit subjective as everyone is different, but a good experiment nonetheless. Will try to get out tonight or tomorrow night.

As for the pillow I can do that, though a jacket may be too big as the pillow is relatively compact. It's a good idea though, I will have a play around with it.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sleeping in socks, long pants, merino long sleeve shirt and a t shirt, beanie, Under quilt and -5 sleeping bag I would like to be able to sleep in 0-1degrees?

Do you think I am being too optimistic?

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Optimistic? I would say so. It depends how much you are willing to tolerate the cold. I will still see how it goes, but I am not expecting a great nights sleep.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Aren't those summer quilts rated to 40degF which is about 4degC? You don't think you'd get an extra 3 or 4 deg from clothing and bag? I'm new to hammocks and have only spent one summer night in one so far so trying to figure out a lot of this quilt stuff myself.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Aren't those summer quilts rated to 40degF which is about 4degC? You don't think you'd get an extra 3 or 4 deg from clothing and bag? I'm new to hammocks and have only spent one summer night in one so far so trying to figure out a lot of this quilt stuff myself.

Ever slept in a -5 sleeping bag at 2 or so degrees and felt cold?

Just because you won't freeze to death doesn't mean you would get a good nights sleep.

Generally manufacturers can be a little misleading with temperature ratings and more expensive gear tends to have a comfort rating and an extreme rating.

I'm not sure if the cottage guys are a bit more truthful with their temp ratings.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've slept, well been in, a 7deg bag at -10 and been damn cold LOL.

I'm a warm sleeper though so something like a 4deg rating with some additional clothing I think I could get away with down to 0 but I get what you're saying.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
The 3/4 is rated to 45f (7c)but I notice the full is rated to 40f. I will see how it goes tonight. The under quilt plays a vital role in keeping you warm in a hammock, more so than the top quilt I would say.

If you are a warm sleeper you might just get away with it. I will report back on how I go.

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I am only using a home bodgied sleeping bag uq at present, but I couldn't imagine going for a 3/4 myself. If you move around a bit in the night, the full length gives you less hassles than trying to readjust a footpad etc.

That said, it's a very personal thing that eveyone needs to work out themselves. Maybe try a bodged sleeping bag in the back yard if you can and rig it for 3/4 and full length? I have had success with just some heavier shock cord knotted around the 4 corners and tied to the suspension lines just above the hammock. Rough and ready but lets you play around and get a feel for things. Even cheap occy strap/ bungie cords from the 2 buck shop would probably do, though the shock cord from bcf or wherever is cheap enough.

I really want a down uq though, after seeing the WA boys pack theirs down to almost the size of a beer can, vs my 2 sleeping bags (uq and tq) Doc has his in 1 side pouch while mine take up most of my pack and weigh a LOT more than 2 down quilts.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
We have had some unseasonably warm weather down here at night with it not getting much below 10 so will try for tonight with the test.