BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me your under quilt!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I agree that a UQ will give you a better nights sleep than a TQ.
Th 3/4 length wa OK for WA the other weekend where temp got down to zero, the important thing was that there was virtually no wind. If you're in a tent then wind is not an issue as far as the bag rating goes, but it is far more significant in a hammock.

@Anthiron: I think you would be fine with what you suggest, although I would wear a pair of thermal leggings!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@Thrud: Sorry mate, I disagree. I tend to find I sleep warmer with less on. Not sure why but there is some science behind it, I believe. Something to do with the body reacting to counteract the cold. (Maybe someone smarter than I can explain it)
Where possible, I take gear off and I sleep warmer. I find if I wear socks, thermals (although I have) etc, I get colder. The exception is a beanie because you lose so much heat out of your head.
A bit of a steal here, sorry Apsilon
Cheers
Bloffy

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Last night I slept out in the hammock with the Wilderness Logics summer series under quilt and top quilt. I was wearing merino thermals, socks and a buff on my head. I am pretty sure the under quilt was adjusted properly, though did not spend a lot of time dialling it in. To keep the UQ in place I was trialing some clip on quilt hooks. for my feet I used a small foam pad placed inside my top quilt footbox. The hammock was a double layer 1.1oz, with separate net. There was a very slight breeze. I was hydrated and had just eaten.

When I went to bed the time was 10.30pm and the temperature was 8.4 degC. I woke at about 1am with a slight chill on my back, and cold butt syndrome, the temperature was 6 degC. I probably could have toughed it out but I like to be warm so at this point I went inside to my bed. Through the night the temperature dropped further to 3.4 degC.

Tonight I might test it again but I take this as consistent with the intended purpose of these quilts. They are rated to about 7 degC. I would say usually I am a cold sleeper, so those that sleep warm may have different results.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks for being a guinea pig mate. Seems fairly consistent with the temp rating of the quilts. I'm think I'm fairly set on going with a full length but I'm still tossing up rating. I'd really rather not get two so trying to judge the sweet spot of what I can use year round.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks for being a guinea pig mate. Seems fairly consistent with the temp rating of the quilts. I'm think I'm fairly set on going with a full length but I'm still tossing up rating. I'd really rather not get two so trying to judge the sweet spot of what I can use year round.

Perhaps look for a 30F under quilt, and you might also be able to get away with a lighter top quilt. Tonight I might try my winter under quilt with summer top quilt.

Or you could look at augmenting the UQ in winter with a pad of some description.

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Given that i got a -6 UQ I've made an insert sleave in the bottom of my hammock to take a pad and hold it in place so in summer I can use the pad and winter the UQ

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for the test Simon! great information. Perhaps the Summer Series won't do after all.

I am still interested in a pillow though if you could add the sleeve on the back.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I wonder how the added weight of a pad for your feet compares to the weight of the extra 1/4 of the underquilt. I myself have a full length and love it although mine is a snugpak one. I had a kip in the afternoon the other day it was about 8 degrees c and I was absolutely cooking. lol had to throw off the topquilt to cool down and it was quite windy too. I cannot wait to get out and try it in the bush.