Silky saw 170

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've been eyeing them up on Survival Supplies Australia, they seem to carry a lot of Silky stuff axes, saws etc.
How do they go on Aussie hardwoods?

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've been eyeing them up on Austra Survival Supplieslia, they seem to carry a lot of Silky stuff axes, saws etc.
How do they go on Aussie hardwoods?

So far I've used the Silky on seasoned gum , mango and paperbark plus some timbers I'm not sure of what they are . The gent at Survival Supplies recommended the medium blade for general use as that is what he uses . The fine blade is recommended for ultra hard timbers as it tends to not skate across the cut .

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi, I've been using one for years after trading up from Gerber exchange blade model, which is great.

Silky is longer with more sticky handle.
I still wear gloves, mainly to give a bit of protection if my sawing gets too carried away and blade jumps out of cut.

The trick is to use the pull cut rather than a push cut.
A bent blade will occur otherwise.
(Same as with most wood saws)

Great bit of kit. A LOT of cutting power in a small package.
To clean, use kerosene or diesel to remove resin and rust proof at same time.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi, I've been using one for years after trading up from Gerber exchange blade model, which is great.

Silky is longer with more sticky handle.
I still wear gloves, mainly to give a bit of protection if my sawing gets too carried away and blade jumps out of cut.

The trick is to use the pull cut rather than a push cut.
A bent blade will occur otherwise.
(Same as with most wood saws)

Great bit of kit. A LOT of cutting power in a small package.
To clean, use kerosene or diesel to remove resin and rust proof at same time.

That's it Kiwi , it's a pull cut and let the saw do the work . I can't remember the last time I bought a piece of kit that really worked so well .

Sonny Hammond

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Agree. The Silky rips through the wood with minimal effort. Best to locate the cuts where the cut will open up rather than close in on the blade. Can clean the blade with tea tree oil, smells great! If you buy from Silky they call you to make sure you’ve ordered the right saw. The medium blade (black handle) was their recommendation for Aussie hardwood.

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi, I do a lot of track clearing here.

The Silky deals to Bamboo well and reduces the risk of serious wound if using a shorter kukri or machete to slash.

When cutting a horizontal branch of fallen tree, I'll put in a short undercut with saw away from tip of branch, THEN do the top cut approximately a inch away towards tip.
This will allow the branch to fall clear and not pivot catching hand/leg.

Try it, it works.

Same as you would do with a chainsaw.