BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

siltarps, sea to summit.

climbndrive

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I aquired a sea to summit siltarp about 6 years ago and have used it a bit 3mtrx5mtr i think a bit large sometimes,it has pre sewn pouches on the corners for your guy ropes,handy as a quick cover, has anyone else used these,for more hardcore use in heavy rain and wind,curious to the robustness of the product.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
I dont have the shelter you mention but i do have a few silnylon shelters and have not has any problems with them if you put some thought into your set up and maintain a taught pitch. I have made a silnylon tarp and heaps of stuff bags and it is surprisingly strong for those applications.
Hope that helps

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have the sea to summit tarp, but silnylon is a great material. It doesn't have as high a water pressure head rating as PU coated nylon (as in waterproof under a specific pressure) but that only really matters if it is used as a groundsheet and you're kneeling on the fabric with water puddled underneath.
As a fly material, it's great. The tensile strength of sil is higher than PU coated nylon, though it's lighter if I remember correctly.
A store owner showed me a test once; he poked a hole through silnylon with a pencil (not particularly sharp, so it basically separated the fibres rather than cutting them). He then scrunched the fabric up and opened it out... the fabric healed itself.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Those sea to sumit tarps are very expensive, but it will no doubt be excellent, they make great stuff.

I use a $25 Hiker fly and it works great for me in any conditions. ]

Darrens advice as usual is spot on. If you get wet you set it up wrong.