Solar torch - I really like em...

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to bring to your attention a cheap torch I have that I am really happy with.

These things are cheap as chips (sub $2) and they give off a great amount of light.

I purchased a few of these and they hang off all my packs. I can't comment on durability but I try not to bash my gear around anyway.

They are not my go to torch but more so an extra torch that will always be easily available (and in the same place).

I'll replace the dodgy steel binding with paracord some day soon..

Here is one on my new pack. I recon these a a really great cheap piece of kit..

Is anyone else using these?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
The concept is good and I have seen these about; but

have you had it in the rain yet ? I'd be worried about that.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how it handles rain....

I always have glow sticks in the event all my devices fail.. :)

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I don't have one of those particular lights but I do have a solar powered torch on the side of my EDC daypack. My light has a carabiner built in (plastic) so it just clips to one of the straps on the side of my pack. I carry this pack on my back when I ride my motorbike to work every day, rain, hail or shine. So far the light I have has been soaked on numerous occasions but even though it isn't rated as being waterproof it has been fine so far and still works just fine. It isn't the brightest light but it is handy to have it easily accessible at all times and to know it wont have flat batteries. I use it a lot during winter when I go over to the shed to get the bike out for work before dawn.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I use photon lights http://www.photonlight.com/ for about 18 years now, I hang them everywhere, on zippers on my jacket, sleeping bag, hammock, tent etc., on backpacks, key rings etc.

I agree the solar cell may give an indefinite light, but somehow I have a few photons that is still working even after 15 years of service.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I use photon lights http://www.photonlight.com/ for about 18 years now, I hang them everywhere, on zippers on my jacket, sleeping bag, hammock, tent etc., on backpacks, key rings etc.

I agree the solar cell may give an indefinite light, but somehow I have a few photons that is still working even after 15 years of service.
Wow. Lifetime warranty. I like how they have the option to stay on.

I have one of these on my keys (got it free with a purchase). I like how they have a UV option (in case of vampires ;)).

Very handy little things....I just realised mine has a switch that keeps it on...

Last edited:

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Are you guys serious? Solar powered torch? The sun isnt out when its dark, which is when you would need a torch!...... :) (This is a Joke by the way.... for the sensitive readers) :)

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I agree pap, these are a bargain that throw out a surprising amount of light for their size. They are very handy and don't get lost when placed on the main drawstring of a pack.
I haven't tested them in the rain, but I wouldn't be too confident, Aussie123.