BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry, No Spoon Carving!!! Just me doing my thing.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I realise there has been little to no interest shown in my videos to date, as can be seen by the lack of replies/comments, but a couple of members have been good enough to post favourable comments, & there may be newer members that are interested, so I decided to keep posting just in case.
Keith.
[video=youtube;Ar8Jk0hFNXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar8Jk0hFNXQ[/video]

elof_alv

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sorry, just a slacker here. Watch the vids and don't comment much.
I find your vids really informative, even when I don't show the appreciation

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Bah , I followed you to YouTube
Been commenting there ;)
Think your vids are great

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I haven't stumbled upon the part Keith where anybody gives instructions including you of the how to of making the steel used , in the flint and steel method vids.
And best shapes to aim for .
If you get a chance , I'd appreciate to know .or point me in the right direction . I seem to be hand spindly and bow drill challenged , yet continue on from time to time . having tried the grass tree also. The aboriginals locally also recommended some kind of birch I think.
You are a real treasure I mean that !
They always said I was from the wrong era too ,
Craw hands texters, voice recognitions and retina scanners !
Spit lol

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I haven't stumbled upon the part Keith where anybody gives instructions including you of the how to of making the steel used , in the flint and steel method vids.
And best shapes to aim for .
If you get a chance , I'd appreciate to know .or point me in the right direction . I seem to be hand spindly and bow drill challenged , yet continue on from time to time . having tried the grass tree also. The aboriginals locally also recommended some kind of birch I think.
You are a real treasure I mean that !
They always said I was from the wrong era too ,
Craw hands texters, voice recognitions and retina scanners !
Spit lol

Thanks mate, appreciated. Metal file steel is high carbon & works a treat, even chainsaw files can be used. You can of course purchase fire steels ready made. I don't think any shape is better than another, the larger ones are easier to hold than the smaller ones.
Even a broken piece of file will work fine once prepared. I place the steel in the fire until cherry red, then take it out & let it cool slowly. Then it is soft enough to be able to file the teeth off the edge of the file. Once you have a smooth edge, place the steel back in a fire & again heat to cherry red. This time quench it in water so it hardens. Some times it can be too hard, & some times it can be too soft still. The only thing to do is repeat the process. Quench it faster if it was too soft, & wait a few seconds before quenching if it was too hard. If it is too soft you can tell because the sharp edge of the rock (flint, agate, quartz or whatever you are using) will dig into the steel & you can feel it catching. Too hard & the rock slides off the steel without cutting any sparks. Most times it will work fine first time though.
Keith.
fire steels & siliceous rocks..jpg

More info here: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/flint-steel-fire-lighting-for.html

Link to my book here: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/more-details-of-my-new-book-primitive.html

Last edited: