BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South African Water Bottle

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Bloffy not sure about the sizes of this Jugoslav type kit
View attachment 8283

Templar I am surprised No one has reproduced Keparts mess kit , I know I would get one great idea water bottle and cook set all together nicely

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Me too.... It would be something many collectors would buy too... the Jugo one would be about 1lt me thinks...

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@Templar: Yes 1quart to be exact. Good idea, like the design but a tad small. Good at the price though about $19.95US? Would probably cut away the KFS and one of the cups.
Had a think about the stand. Probably work on the KISS principle here and just go for something simple like this.

stand_step_5_image_1.jpg

Which folds down to something like this

stand_step_5_image_2.jpg

Maybe just make the legs longer on the top length to make it more stable and give a more stable base. Best parts of these is that it is very hard to tip a tripod, they are simple to make and maintain and you can use them with any fire base - gas, hexi, wood or metho.
Probably even good on the cups canteen style.
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. Trying to over think it methinks.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks mate, not quite what I was considering but HOW NICE is the Silver Fox Knife.
That thing is insane.
It is what I reckon I would be looking for in a big knife, plenty of heft, versatile, unusual in design but with a lot of thought gone into it, as well as the sheath. Chopper, skinner, "hammer" carver, although some of these at my skill level I would be pushed to utilise. Not really hooked on the bone-style handle. How good would it look with a Jarrah or Karri handle though?
Only thing I couldn't see was a price, which scares me somewhat.
One day, I'll convince Corin that WA is a great place to have a knife-making session and get some expert assistance in making one of these.
Wohoo, how's that? I managed to hijack my own thread. :_applauso:
I did mention my Goldfish Syndrome, didn't I?
Cheers
Bloffy

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've been using the SADF water bottle since the mid 90's - and have never found a compatible cup-canteen style system. This said, the SADF bottle is never the only WB I carry - I always carry an ADF style bottle with cup canteen and US stove attachment as part of my gear, hence I always have a cooking /water purification system on hand. I have found that the SADF bottle - given the price - is an invaluable piece of kit, and by default fits into most (if not all) of the side pockets on my day packs and main packs. I used to carry 2 of them plus a Camelbak in my main pack, with the 1 x ADF canteen / cook system on the belt (I am live in the NT which means lots of water is the norm) - the SADF bottles for iodine / puritabs water sterilisation on the move and then for topping up the bladder. They are as tough as nails, and nearly 20 years later still going.

As per Auscrafts posts - the standard ADF kidney shape bottle is def unstable sometimes, but if used with the US style stove attachment is generally workable. I've seen the BG cup online, but didn't think it would fit the SADF bottle.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to look at the BG cup but it wouldn't fit. When I get five minutes once the new year settles down and SWMBO stops finding jobs for me to do then I'm gunna find out about getting something made or otherwise.
Cheers
Bloffy

bluebush2

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Here's a couple of ideas for a pot that fits around the SADF 2 litre canteen. Trangia make an aluminium mess kit that kind of fits. It will fit in the molle holder that's now available in Australia even with the original handle and lid beside the canteen. If you want to go rough and ready, cut up a 3 litre olive oil tin. I tried an Altivo EVO tin, that fits pretty well. As for the holder, until the molle pouch became readily available, I was using a thermal lunch bag made by AZDesignsz. Another idea for insulation is to use a neoprene knee brace. One of the cheap, almost exactly tubular ones, fits nicely. The molle pouch doesn't have decent attachments for a shoulder sling so I thread the 54cm long tree suspension band from my hammock thru the molle down one side, along the bottom, and up the other. It it'll hold half my weight it'll hold 2 litres of water.2l canteen insulation.jpg2l canteen pot.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of ideas for a pot that fits around the SADF 2 litre canteen. Trangia make an aluminium mess kit that kind of fits. It will fit in the molle holder that's now available in Australia even with the original handle and lid beside the canteen. If you want to go rough and ready, cut up a 3 litre olive oil tin. I tried an Altivo EVO tin, that fits pretty well. As for the holder, until the molle pouch became readily available, I was using a thermal lunch bag made by AZDesignsz. Another idea for insulation is to use a neoprene knee brace. One of the cheap, almost exactly tubular ones, fits nicely. The molle pouch doesn't have decent attachments for a shoulder sling so I thread the 54cm long tree suspension band from my hammock thru the molle down one side, along the bottom, and up the other. It it'll hold half my weight it'll hold 2 litres of water....

Excellent suggestions