BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soviet Plash Palatka Pomcho / Shelter - double set up

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I was pretty impressed with my canvas Soviet 'Plash Palatka' poncho system that I set up a while back (refer earlier post in this section). I ended up ordering a second poncho, to see how the pair went when they were buttoned together. One of the button seams on each shelter has an additional flap with button holes to allow 2 or more shelters to be buttoned together. It's only about a minute job to join them both - one things the soviets seem to excell at was keeping designs simple.

The finished combined shelter just erects as per the original, using a single pole (I used a walking stick) as the central support - but with a more defined 'teepee' look and a lot more leg room. It would definitely make for an excellent overnighter or short stay 4 season shelter, but weight wise it would be pushing the limits - unless you split the ponchos between you and a walking partner.

plash1.jpgplash2.jpgplash3.jpgplash4.jpgplash5.jpgplash6.jpgplash7.jpg

Comparison pics of the single and double set-up.

plash5.jpgplash8.jpg

I also bought a different style of surplus East German army poncho - this one is smaller and square and for $10 will make an excellent base for a bedroll / swag system - or a small rectangular A frame shelter. I'm not a big camouflage fan at the best of times, but this pattern is pretty basic.

ger1.jpgGer2.jpg

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like a great shelter. If you get any rainy weather, let us know how it goes

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks Wentworth. Being old surplus stock, they all need to be re-water proofed (tomorrows job) which obviously adds even more weight. I have no doubt they will stand up to a good soaking, and once our wet season rains start I will test it - only problem is that our wet season temperate and humidity makes sleeping under canvas pretty uncomfortable. But I will take one for the team !

oldigger

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Thanks Wentworth. Being old surplus stock, they all need to be re-water proofed (tomorrows job) which obviously adds even more weight. I have no doubt they will stand up to a good soaking, and once our wet season rains start I will test it - only problem is that our wet season temperate and humidity makes sleeping under canvas pretty uncomfortable. But I will take one for the team !

Reproofing may not be necessary. I bought an ex East German poncho and, after laying it out flat, gave it a good soaking with the hose. I found only a few beads of water at one point on the inside. I sprayed it with Warproo (used a whole can) and now no water gets through. I believe that the water resistance is a combination of factory water proofing and the very tight weave? If the Russian Plash Palatka uses a similar fabric, then long periods of storage may not harm them. Be interesting to see how your tests work out!