BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soviet 'Plash Palatka' poncho shelter

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of ex military equipment, but I have had an old Soviet Army poncho system (Plash Palatka) for a while. They are made of a heavy duty canvas, which was the reason I originally got it (thinking of turning it into a bedroll etc). They were designed to be used as both a poncho and a single person shelter, although 2 of them can be buttoned together to make a larger shelter.

I had a play with it in the back yard this afternoon, using a trekking pole as a support. I was surprised at how much room is inside - easily enough for an adult and a backpack, and I could quite happily spend a night or 2 in the wilds in it.

plash1.jpgplash2.jpgplash3.jpgplash4.jpg

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Nice work. It looks strong and well setup. Does it have grommets all around and clips to join the sides like the yank poncho?

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks Sami, and yep it has ample metal grommets to peg it out (some of the much older ones apparently have leather grommets). No clips, but it has buttons to join 2 poncho's together.

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
very cool. thanks for the info mate. i may need to setup my US poncho and see how it goes. never actually used it! :D

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Thanks DA, I like it. How small does it pack?

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cheers Phrayzar - rolls up pretty compact, about same as my foam bedroll. Weight is 1.45 kg not bad when you consider it is heavy treated water proofcanvas that is doing 2 jobs - poncho and shelter. roll.jpg

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That's surprising! Even more appealing on the trad side of things.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great post thanks! I have one of those with the leather grommets bought last year when HD did the Varustekla bulk buy. I haven't tested it at all yet, partly as I wouldn't take it on a hard walk due to the weight, but now I'm inspired to try it on a quick overnighter. There are a few YouTube videos on possible setups, eg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGPSaGEYIgY

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Cheers Phrayzar - rolls up pretty compact, about same as my foam bedroll. Weight is 1.45 kg not bad when you consider it is heavy treated water proofcanvas that is doing 2 jobs - poncho and shelter. View attachment 18817

Thanks mate, it packs way smaller than I expected.

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I've got the east german version, I think it's the same as the russian one except it's in the 'rain' pattern camouflage. There are instructions for joining up to 12 from memory.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Having seen these before they look quite good so i just bit the bullet and bought a pair although the shipping cost made it a bit deer. Been wanting to get a small canvas tarp for a while and thought this might work better. The ones I bought are the Polish ones though I am not sure if there is any difference. There seems to be many european military items with the similiar idea.

Last edited:

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cheers Askew - I knew they could be doubles up, but had no idea you could put that many together…but looking at the pattern it looks like it could actually make a big tipi type shelter.
QUOTE=MongooseDownUnder;80357]Having seen these before they look quite good so i just bit the bullet and bought a pair although the shipping cost made it a bit deer. Been wanting to get a small canvas tarp for a while and thought this might work better. The ones I bought are the Polish ones though I am not sure if there is any difference. There seems to be many european military items with the similiar idea.[/QUOTE]

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Having seen these before they look quite good so i just bit the bullet and bought a pair although the shipping cost made it a bit deer. Been wanting to get a small canvas tarp for a while and thought this might work better. The ones I bought are the Polish ones though I am not sure if there is any difference. There seems to be many european military items with the similiar idea.
MDA - I think they are all pretty much the same pattern. I have seen a couple of older ones that came down to mid thigh instead of below the knees. I have a feeling mine are actually Polish, although the sticker said 'soviet' - prob meant 'eastern / soviet bloc'. Either way they all join together the same.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I figured depending on when they were made they could be the same thing. If they were post WW2 when a large portion of Poland was annexed by Russia, otherwise Russia likely sold them to Poland. The ones I just bought look identical to what you have.

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I had a look online - and yep the ones sold as a pair (polish) are identical to mine. I hope to see them in action in a trip report !
I figured depending on when they were made they could be the same thing. If they were post WW2 when a large portion of Poland was annexed by Russia, otherwise Russia likely sold them to Poland. The ones I just bought look identical to what you have.

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
There were some Hungarian ones in Hungarian camo available last time i looked at em.....also austrian zelts in souble sided camo