BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spinifex resin

kyron

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey every one ,
Was wondering if anyone would know where i can get some Spinifex resin ? or a tutorial on how to ?

cheers
Kyron

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey every one ,
Was wondering if anyone would know where i can get some Spinifex resin ? or a tutorial on how to ?

cheers
Kyron

Hi, I'm not sure if you want to "buy" some resin, or gather it yourself. I don't know if it is possible to buy, but it should be possible to harvest some yourself.

Here's an article which contains a lot of information about spinifex, including traditional gathering, processing and uses; and the "grass" too, not just the resin.

http://lib-ojs3.lib.sfu.ca:8114/index.php/era/article/viewFile/621/396

and (esp Chapter 4)
http://www.flinders.edu.au/ehl/fms/archaeology_files/dig_library/theses/Pitman H 2010 Honours o.pdf

Many books on Aboriginal traditions will have some detail, and pictures and many internet articles will contain references.

The two principal methods are to either thresh the grass itself, or locate some resin which has already been collected by ants (as Templar and darren say)

kyron

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's , I wanted to see if i could buy some for my father ( easy way ) or rather find out how to gather ( harder way ) .
Appreciate the links and now off to do some research .
Cheers
Kyron

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kyron,
Let us know how you get on, we're always interested to hear of success and fail in any experiments