BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spotted Gum and Antler

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
In theme with OzHaggisHead and the Aussie/Scandi cross over, I've had this one made for a few weeks now, just deciding how to give it to a good friend... Australian Spotted Gum was a pleasure to work with, and fits well with the antler... what do you reckon?

Blade: Kankaanpaa 105mm

Handle: Australian Spotted Gum, Reindeer Antler and Vulcanised Fibre

Sheath: 2mm Veg Tanned Cow Hide, Dyed with Vinegaroon

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

See more pics on the website: http://graybear.yolasite.com/ka-105.php

Cheers,

GB

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Another beautiful piece gray bear. Such great knives being made by everyone, maybe I should pull my finger out and have a go.

I recon if you put any of your knives up on the trading post forum of this site you would get quite a few bites. Sometime in the future it would be great to see Aussie bushcrafters enjoying their hobby and selling it to other appreciative members (and making a bit of coin of course). Using Australian materials makes it all the more satisfying.

Keep up the great work graybear

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one mate..!! You friend must be very happy I know I would be..

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice knife mate!
Great use of materials and combination of influences. I like the look of the antler and Spotted gum, not unlike straight grained birch...

Also nice to see another Australian Scandi Addict!

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is just had to have other look..You need to post more of you knifes Corin.!!

I need to make more... I have one on the anvil at the moment.... finished the heat treat needs a bit of a touch up to the grind and handle. Not my normal style though, its not a traditional scandi, but I will give it a scandi handle! Thinking stacked leather... pictures will follow the weekend no doubt.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey another question for Greybear,

That sheath is lovely, what is it died with? What is Vinegaroon? Do you dip the whole sheath or paint it on? It looks a lot more professorial than what I am using!

Last edited:

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Vinegaroon is a homemade recipe that actually alters the leather chemically, so technically its not a dye. It's very easy to make:

Soak some fine grade wire wool in some ordinary household white vinegar. I use a jam jar, but be careful to leave the lidnslightly off, it can get messy if you seal it up!

Leave it soaking for at least two days, or at least until the wool has dissolved. It will look sort of brown.

Test a piece of leather first, but you can brush it on or dip a finished item... The leather will turn a light grey to start with, but grow darker in the following seconds...

Have a go!

You can see some pics of me using it when I was making a sheath for a friend... See here:

http://graybear.yolasite.com/rat-5-sheath-project.php

Give it a try!

GB

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I think the spotted gum has slug Ty more character than then birch... The pics make it look very orange, but it's quite a muted tone.

And thanks for the compliments, it's good to see you on here.... And you should post more of yours up for sure...

GB