BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Straw

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi, stuck on Survival capsule due to very heavy rain and wind, hence lots of posts due to boredom, ( mine, hopefully not yours).
Over the years travelling and living in and on Islands in the tropics, there are a couple of things I ALWAYS carry in day pack.

One thing is a recycled alloy tent pole.
Whoopdee do you say...

It is great for supplying air when fire starting with wet wood + excellent for drinking coconut water. Simply drill hole with knife and suck it up..

No mess, fuss or loss of water.
Brilliant even if I say so myself... (y)

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
good idea Kiwi, i have a telescopic tube for fire starting, it was one of them metal back scratch things, i took off the mini bear hand scratcher part and kept the tube section, never thought for coconuts tho (y) these things are cheap as at most $$ stores

321254871125414.jpg

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I made a couple of fire blow tubes out of bamboo garden stakes which work well. Saves getting smoke blown back into your face when using a tinder box.

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
good idea Kiwi, i have a telescopic tube for fire starting, it was one of them metal back scratch things, i took off the mini bear hand scratcher part and kept the tube section, never thought for coconuts tho (y) these things are cheap as at most $$ stores

View attachment 27403
Now that's a good idea.
Collapsible is plus...
Have considered recycling a car antenna but the last section is solid.
I can remember years ago, assholes were covering them with polishing compound, working them back/forth until they would flick out.
The tip would be sharpened on angle and used as a whip like a ASP Baton.
Nasty !

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll resurrect an old thread here ….

You can even make your own straw in the bush from Common Reed (Phragmites australis) ….