BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunglasses Recomendations

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good value for money pair of sunglasses that are rugged and would be good for hiking/climbing? Ive been doing a fair bit of rock climbing so spending a lot of time looking up :) and my "fashion" style sunnies probably aren't the best for bush bashing and climbing :)

A friend on the weekend had a pair of polarized Oakley Cliftons which were awesome and they had a little cable so you can put them around your neck too so something like that would be idea, happy to put a bit of cash towards them but wondering if anyone has a recommendation of something like them but a bit cheaper as Im generally a little mean to my sunglasses and not really fussed about the name.

MARC

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good value for money pair of sunglasses that are rugged and would be good for hiking/climbing? Ive been doing a fair bit of rock climbing so spending a lot of time looking up :) and my "fashion" style sunnies probably aren't the best for bush bashing and climbing :)

A friend on the weekend had a pair of polarized Oakley Cliftons which were awesome and they had a little cable so you can put them around your neck too so something like that would be idea, happy to put a bit of cash towards them but wondering if anyone has a recommendation of something like them but a bit cheaper as Im generally a little mean to my sunglasses and not really fussed about the name.
Any pair of high quality polarised fishing glasses will put all others to shame. Tonic, Spotters, Maui Jim, Costa. All tough glass lenses, Photochromatic lenses. Not cheap but great quality and your eyes will thank you for it. I won't own cheap sunglasses, there is no point.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I use safety glasses. They filter UV light, they weigh next to nothing, they're cheap and tough. I have a yellow tint and clear. I use them when on the mtb or walking off track. If you're walking off track it is amazing how many little twigs are pointing straight at you so all you can see is the very end.

If you're after polarised, I bought heaps of these years ago. I went by the reviews on the US Amazon site. I recommend the yellow tinted ones - they let the most light through, which helps if you're in bush type scenario - constant shadow and light.

Yes, cheap is good. I look after them but they do get scratches eventually. I've also left a few pairs here and there in the bush :rolleyes:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
i will second the "polarised fishing glasses" low to mid price range, i am so OVER the more expensive ones out there,
can not count the times i have lost pairs while kayaking/hiking and if any one tells me to lanyard them ...thats a nope tried it and it just bugs me lol.
Will say, top end expensive ones get just as scratched up as do cheap fishing one, so id rather replace on a reg basis.