BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survival. I think it is time to talk about Climate Change!

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I put a 280a/h Lithium iron phosphate in
our camper. Ordered the components directly from battery brokers in China. Cost about $800 delivered. Could have gone cheaper but paid the extra for the matched cells for a longer life. Should keep our fridge running for 2 weeks without charging. Will carry a 300W folding solar panel to keep it topped up when we’re stopped.
Intention is the battery will be the power supply of our offgrid house eventually. If we ever settle. 😁
sounds like a great investment Wanderon . 👍

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Totally agree Kindlling. My wife & I lived an 18th century lifestyle for over 20 years, & in that time we raised three sons. We had no electricity, we made our own candles & grease lamps for light. Washing was done in a copper over a fire outside. The shower was outside, the ash can toilet was outside. We cooked & boiled water over an open fire. I built our cottage from a demolished old cottage in a farmer's paddock. I built our own furniture. I hunted for meat with my flintlock fusil & I ran a trap line for rabbits. Now we have solar power, so we now have a fridge/freezer which is a real boon. But we could easily fall into an 18th century lifestyle all over again without any problem.
Keith.
View attachment 29160View attachment 29159
Have not seen a copper for a long while Keith , had a Donkey hot water boiler recently , now a solar hot water .

The donkey hot water was just a modified House LPG big cylinder on its side , with a cold water inlet from the raised water tank and an outlet to the house.

The frame to raise it above the fire was just a few wired together star pickets for legs and cross bars .

It had some kind of steam valve release , could have been off a hot water service though I can’t quite recall .

Though it could be lit beneath , most of the time I just used it at whatever temperature the day had brought ,
As I had painted it black to absorb the suns heat .

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score

Is climate change making people stupid ?
Your survival plans should include surviving the road ...

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Oh dear !
They cant drive ( some ) at the best of times ..
And if you toot your horn at them for being ( doing ) stupid , you upset the idiots for pointing out their stupidity !
Stupid is becoming rampant in Australia .

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The old grass roots magazine ,
And earth garden magazine were a good thing .

The community library still has them . Still in print .

All the people From the mud brick house movement years ago should be in a good spot now .
constant temps inside them mud brick houses .

If your ever making a squatters mud brick bushcraft house in the bush , give it some big eaves to protect from rain and a raised stone base for the walls to save washing away , have a look into taking a couple bags of tapioca starch with you to render the walls for weather .

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I put a 280a/h Lithium iron phosphate in
our camper. Ordered the components directly from battery brokers in China. Cost about $800 delivered. Could have gone cheaper but paid the extra for the matched cells for a longer life. Should keep our fridge running for 2 weeks without charging. Will carry a 300W folding solar panel to keep it topped up when we’re stopped.
Intention is the battery will be the power supply of our offgrid house eventually. If we ever settle. 😁
yes, that's the way I think too. We have an awesome 12v fridge / freezer for travel; it can be one or the other, but not both. Supposedly the most economical for it's size. A 2000wh lithium ion all in one system can keep that going for days, as well as recharge phones, run a laptop, recharge AA and aaa batteries for lights etc. My priority without grid would be the fridge and led headlights etc. We're going to get solar panels on the house, just enough to keep this power pack charged. This way the power pack can always be in use to save grid electricity. Supposedly time will kill these batteries before charge / discharge cycles. I'm thinking to set up the power pack so that it can run our normal fridge and lighting - nearly everything is led now. This would just be through peak charge times, then back to grid for off peak. Put the electric hot water service on a timer so that it only heats during off peak - it's quite big and easily keeps hot for 24hrs or more, so easily done.

Then, when we go travelling, we take our battery with us :D

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Well, speaking of prepping, I am unable to find theracurmin anywhere. Luckily I have a year's supply! I also use melatonin to help sleep - years of living on 3-4 hours sleep has given me a sleep problem. I have a year supply of that too. I buy when things are on special. I've just had a general hunt around - theracurmin is not available anywhere (known brands with reasonable quantity and value).

It seems I was prepared :D

I'll quickly explain theracurmin - if you're like me, getting older and have accumulated aches and pains and hobble around in the mornings till your body loosens up :D

"the benefits of turmeric including reduced inflammation, improved heart health and also better brain health". Curcumin is the active ingredient in tumeric that is supposedly responsible for this. The problem is that curcumin isn't absorbed by our bodies that well so we have to take a lot to get a little of it absorbed. Theracurmin is just the name of curcumin that has been micronized so that it is mostly aborbed by our bodies. It seems to work for me.

My point here though is that I have a lot of it in stock. Some basic prepping does pay off.

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s been covered in any depth in this thread yet but what sort of communications do you have or do you deem it necessary?
I’m installing a HF radio in the car for remote travel.
Also have a cheaper 80 channel uhf and a couple of rechargeable handhelds for short distance.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s been covered in any depth in this thread yet but what sort of communications do you have or do you deem it necessary?
Also have a cheaper 80 channel uhf and a couple of rechargeable handhelds for short distance.
We have not got any communication devices WanderOn, but my family knows that if it all hits the fan then they are to come home.
Keith.
Living off grid in a forest.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score

I have a good quality handheld GME radio in the ute .it Has the hand piece to tell trucks to come around and that kind of stuff .

When I think of communication , I tell people to just email me if I am bush then I can get back to them .
If there ever is a major war between world powers like in the pacific , I have heard a defense analyst and advisor on a 60 minutes special say the satellite for GPS will be shot down quickly .

That means no eftpos apparently and lots of communication will cease .

So if that were to happen you would want to be on the same page as to where to meet up if thats the idea .

Unless you want to change your phone number so family does not come eat all your food .

My idea of communication is a bit simpler ,
Like in bush situations how to find each other if getting lost .

One tool is a hikers whistle , the dogs can hear it a couple hills away if they run after something .

The idea would be 2 toots , then wait for a reply within earshot .

Maybe 4 toots could be “ in trouble come help” for injury .

Maybe 3 toots could be “dinner is too heavy come help carry it.”

Or something along those lines , if there is a base camp and a walk to fishing grounds or nearby hunting .

Another scenario if you have ever been with someone who wanders off and gets lost ,
Could be if you don’t hear from them after a certain time ,
Have them know to get to a high vantage point and look out ,

While you would know to light a smoky fire to help them find their way back .

Other than that , once the distractions like television are out of the picture ,
You can hone your telepathy and common senses.

Other than the gps , plb and compass while they work .

Last edited:

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Well, speaking of prepping, I am unable to find theracurmin anywhere. Luckily I have a year's supply! I also use melatonin to help sleep - years of living on 3-4 hours sleep has given me a sleep problem. I have a year supply of that too. I buy when things are on special. I've just had a general hunt around - theracurmin is not available anywhere (known brands with reasonable quantity and value).

It seems I was prepared :D

I'll quickly explain theracurmin - if you're like me, getting older and have accumulated aches and pains and hobble around in the mornings till your body loosens up :D

"the benefits of turmeric including reduced inflammation, improved heart health and also better brain health". Curcumin is the active ingredient in tumeric that is supposedly responsible for this. The problem is that curcumin isn't absorbed by our bodies that well so we have to take a lot to get a little of it absorbed. Theracurmin is just the name of curcumin that has been micronized so that it is mostly aborbed by our bodies. It seems to work for me.

My point here though is that I have a lot of it in stock. Some basic prepping does pay off.

I grow tumeric . It is a good resilient plant , a lot is under the ground unseen with not much leaves above.

It will be good to have an extensive first aid kit .

Things like
-Activated Charcoal if you ate a poisonous plant .

-Cod liver oil for a blocked up Stomach .

A crook stomach can throw your plans way out when bush .
A couple days laying around can deplete water supplies , the hunting cycle etc ,

Plus keep electrolyte powder or tablets , for if you become dehydrated .

-Antibiotics for a lot of the common infections and some of the exotic ones.

-definitely a lot of betadine , the vet here recommends mixing betadine with water to flush dogs wounds too .

This could be a whole section by itself .

Last edited:

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a good quality handheld GME radio in the ute .it Has the hand piece to tell trucks to come around and that kind of stuff .

When I think of communication , I tell people to just email me if I am bush then I can get back to them .
If there ever is a major war between world powers like in the pacific , I have heard a defense analyst and advisor on ABC say the satellite for GPS will be shot down quickly .

That means no eftpos apparently and lots of communication will cease .

So if that were to happen you would want to be on the same page as to where to meet up if thats the idea .

Unless you want to change your phone number so family does not come eat all your food .

My idea of communication is a bit simpler ,
Like in bush situations how to find each other if getting lost .

One tool is a hikers whistle , the dogs can hear it a couple hills away if they run after something .

Or something along those lines , if there is a base camp and a walk to fishing grounds or nearby hunting .

Another scenario if you have ever been with someone who wanders off and gets lost ,
Could be if you don’t hear from them after a certain time ,
Have them know to get to a high vantage point and look out ,

While you would know to light a smoky fire to help them find their way back .

Other than that , once the distractions like television are out of the picture ,
You can hone your telepathy and common senses.

Other than the gps , plb and compass while they work .
Awesome points I hadn’t considered
According to the wife, I don’t got telepathy or even pick up hints. Maybe something for a long cold nuclear winter.
Thank you.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
According to the wife, I don’t got telepathy or even pick up hints.
after a few surprise whacks to the back of the head I'm surprisingly telepathic :rolleyes: :D, and a bit jumpy

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score

We have those high pitched whistles on our day packs. From experience - the sound doesn't carry far; even less so if the person you're trying to signal is walking. I've only ever tried using them in fairly thick bush though (temperate rain forest) - for sure they are better in open country especially if the wind is favoring you. For me, I think less than 100m in the bush unless the person is stationary and there's no wind. Wind in the bush (tall tree canopy) sounds like rain or a river - actually pretty loud.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
We have those high pitched whistles on our day packs. From experience - the sound doesn't carry far; even less so if the person you're trying to signal is walking. I've only ever tried using them in fairly thick bush though (temperate rain forest) - for sure they are better in open country especially if the wind is favoring you. For me, I think less than 100m in the bush unless the person is stationary and there's no wind. Wind in the bush (tall tree canopy) sounds like rain or a river - actually pretty loud.
I tie whistles to all sorts of things , knives , backpacks, a camelback , a neck .

They are about the pitch of a smoke detector these ones and loud .

From down your way , a nice little add on to an order .

Here , and In the early hours especially , sound travels far including yours , a motorbike or a radio can sound very close though its miles away. Must be the lay of the land.
If in a valley with water even more so .

I can imagine situations like you mention though with heavy rain or behind high peaks yes , different here .

An advantage is a very smart dog that knows the way back in an area , and can actually take you back when asked.
Or find another whistle when you ask .

You can sound like a bird with a couple quick toots , and get away with it if done smartly.

Its a useful tool .

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I can recommend amazon for buying in bulk. Not all the time of course, but they do have amazing deals on anything you can imagine sooner or later. Last night I just ordered 6 x 2L of golden circle fruit cup cordial (No artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners). 12L all up for $15.00 with free delivery :D. A while ago I bought 15kg of cold power soap powder for some stupid price as well.

I have paid for amazon (prime) membership @ $49 for the year, that entitles me to free delivery for most of what I buy (not all). Also free returns, and membership to prime video channel. It suits us because we use prime video and amazon a fair bit.

Basically we stock up on stuff whenever it is on special - that way it is a win / win. I use a site to be notified of bargains that I'm interested in; I've been using it for years now. Very good way of finding things; often in the comments you can find more information on the quality of service or goods.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I have built and lived in a couple huts Keith . Also lived in a shed that I renovated to be liveable on 1000 acres which backed onto a salt water creek and got flooded in when it rained , it had some solar , diesel generator, petrol bore pump .
The others , I used solar shower , canvas bags, gas fridge , kerosene lanterns and candles .

The more complicated and gadgets the harder the work became ,in maintaining it all . I enjoy the simplicity . It is hard work that type of bush living , it seems like an ideal people don’t realize the work . Life without lawns is a good idea .

Always like a loo with view in the bush !

My pick , See these in OP shops from time to time . Last one was 3$ .

You can always have a 44 gallon drum drop , put on its side slight tilt buried with some water and a film of kero on top if you want to get fancy . Or fertilize different areas .

A bit of shade cloth wrapped around the legs is a good idea , where mosquitoes and flies are or anything else that want’s to sneak up and bite you when you go for a walk with the shovel .DEAD2715-A1B5-40E3-929C-9CCF8C09177A.png

Last edited: