BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swag in Hammock

Heckler

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just paid for my first hammock, a Mosquito Hammock - Jungle :sorrriso:

Anyway my first trip away will be camping with the kids and I'll be packing my swag in case there is nowhere to hang it. Go t me thinking about colder nigths when you aren't hiking, has anyone put their swag in there hammock for comfort and warmth. Does it fit/work?]

Cheers

Ash

Last edited:

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi Ash,

I dont think it will work as that hammock is quite narrow but depends on the size of your swag I guess. You could always just take the mattress out of the swag and lay it in your hammock as extra insulation. if you do put the swag in the hammock don't forget to take photo's, I'd like to see it :sorrriso:.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to sure on this one.??I like to see your set up..

JM9422

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I reckon you could just about do it, if you didn't bunch the ends up of the mosquito hammock and ran a pole through the ends and tied them off to trees.

It would depend on how big the swag is you plan to put in it, but the small (envelope) style swags should fit in.

I'll try it tomorrow on the ground, see if it fits. Will post pictures.

Heckler

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Cool thanks, worth a shot I reckon. yeah its just an envelope style ones, roll it out done. Those fancy swags are looking more like canvas tents everyday.

JM9422

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
It fits. Oztrail cooper in a mosquito jungle hammock. There's a fair bit of space at each end, and I put a couple of fibreglass sticks in to show there's a bit of room to tie off the mosquito net.

I guess you could hang it, with poles through the ends to keep it bunching, but is it worth it? On the ground you'd be sleeping flat (which is a plus for me) with the benefit of the bug net.

swag-in-a-hammock-boom-boom.jpg