BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAC-Force TF-FIX012 ( Tacti-cool ) Knife

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
TacForce.jpg

About to test , one - Tacticool knife .
Personally I am not a fan of Tacticool knives ..
But I have been eyeing this TacForce for some time ...
It looks like it might make a decent field knife .
SO the only thing I don't ( SO FAR ) like about this knife , is the self description about being Tacti-cool .
Also the knife is a little bit of a slop fit in the sheath ( can be fixed - one hopes ) ..
Knife is sharp out of the box and slices paper like a champ .
I like the over molded rubber grip and the knife has a reasonable tang ( full length ) which ever so slightly protrudes out the back of the grip .
The knife sits well in the hand and is comfortable when changing ones grip for various holds .

Sheath = Cheap nylon job with some sort of hard liner ( Fibrous ) .

Will put the knife to the rope ASAP . ( Factory edge )

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score

Oh dear !
Well , the factory edge was a 100 fail , or as I like to think ... All show and no go !
The knife feels good in the hand , chokes well . There are so many ways to like this knife , except the factory edge .

Regrind ...

This was just too easy !
This might have been the easiest regrind ever !
And the steel that came off looked like micro ball bearings .. ( Course Grain ? )
Well , there is a new edge on the knife .
Butt , !!! My spider senses are tingling on this one .

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score

Wet stone grinder edge returns 50% more slicing or ( @ 150 slice fail ) Bevel is 16 degrees . Edge did not roll , just wore away .
Knife strops back well .
Knife feels good in the hand
Knife is easy to control and responsive
Knife is about the right weight for size
Over molded rubber grip is good

Edge retention is ( in my book ) at the bottom range of average .
When regrinding , the steel coming off looked like micro ball bearings .. So is the steel of a course grain structure ?
Which might mean a poor casting or poor melt .
Either way , the steel does not particularly impress .
This might be ok as a first knife or training knife .. Teach some one how to care for a knife .
Edge maintenance looks to be easy , strops easy . And the knife offers very good control and should be suitable for smaller hands .
Butt !!!!
If your a knife guy ?
Why would you want a knife that is more expensive than a Mora , Cant hold an edge as well as a Mora ?
Because a Mora is an excellent first knife .
Youd take the Mora every time (?) , yes .............
This was my first and last TacForce ... ( Nuff Said )

Last edited: