BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tarp for hammock and ground camp

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Hi guys
I was chasing some input on a good sized tarp that can serve both hammock duties in winter and also good coverage to be able to move around if I go to ground.
I am thinking a 5x4 with numerous times outs.
Not too fussed on weight. Would prefer durability over lightest fabric.

Any thoughts?

Cheers lads!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have a slightly smaller one that has been excellent.
I would have a chat with Evan At Terra Rosa Gear http://terrarosagear.com

He put extra tie outs on mine. If I had anything happen to my tarp I would buy another from him without hesitation.

No affiliation.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Simon from Tier Gear does an awesome tarp too. More than enough coverage even if you have to become a ground dweller. Light weight, and mine has seen a lot of rainy nights no problems.
All depends what you are looking for.
I even use my old Hennessy Hammock ultralite hammock tarp as my surv1#4/ cover.
It's ultra light weight and fits in my pocket.
Cheers
Bloffy

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Thanks lads yep will probably hassle those guys just wondered if a bigger tarp would be more of a liability than it's worth.
I have a 3x3 diamond tarp but it's a bit small for my tier gear hammock.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Pros and cons: Bigger tarps give better coverage, but also move more in the wind and you are more likely to get water pooling on the top.

They are bulkier and heavier too which can be an issue if you need to carry it; but having room for a tent, chairs and table is very, very nice when its pouring ...

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
You can get away with a slightly smaller tarp by adding doors at least to one end. They can be either sewn on or "Grizz Beak" style removable doors.