BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tarp Size

Jazz The Boxer

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Good Afternoon

Yet another NOOB question along the lines of "How long is a piece of string?".

I'm interested in a lot of things related to bush craft & 4x4. Budget and time to play around is limited however.

Now I have researched this quite a bit but I'm not happy that what I have read / learned is for me.

I'm after a tarp for hiking / survival / overnighters / shelter when 4x4 and having smoko & lunch. It's my wife, myself and my dog. This morning we took my Jimny out, found a quiet place and enjoyed cherios cooked on my Trangia (baby steps). It started spitting & I was wishing I had some shelter (we're learning trying to at least make on mistake less each time we go out :linguino:)

I'm interested in exploring hammock camping, bivvy camping & "stealth" camping. Keep in mind that I am interested in that style of camping..... my wife??? :p

Also interested in just setting up a shelter in the woods and just chilling out without other people.

I like nice gear. Buy cheap Buy Twice. But also I need to temper that with Buy the wrong thing (for what I need) buy (maybe) Thrice.

I'm thinking about purchasing this It's dimensions are 2780mm (L) x 1780mm (W) and it weighs 715 grams

Your thoughts gratefully recieved

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
If you do more 4x4 camping than long hikes get a 14 or 16 ounce canvas tarp. I found a 2.4x3.6m for 55 schmackos. Has copped a pizzeling being used on my ute as a cover as well as being a great tarp when it's blowing a gale. It does weigh 2 kg however but I don't mind as I mostly have only done short hikes

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I've used many tarps in my time but in the end I still go back to a basic 3m x 3m tarp. It is good for stealth, hammock, and car camping. I have one from DD Hammocks. Go for a plain green (olive drab ) one it can be set up in many different configurations ( look online for set ups) you can't go wrong with this type of tarp.

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
G'day Jazz.
Mate, for the same price get 2x normal hootchies@ $50ea from the same supplier.
Keep 1 in your 'goes everywhere' kit and another in the Suzi.
A standard hootchie can fit a few bodies under it if you don't mind getting close and is light enough to carry in a day pack.
Clip a second to it and you have a great awning to hang off the roof racks or string up beside your car. It'll be large enough for you both and a wet dog!

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've used many tarps in my time but in the end I still go back to a basic 3m x 3m tarp. It is good for stealth, hammock, and car camping. I have one from DD Hammocks. Go for a plain green (olive drab ) one it can be set up in many different configurations ( look online for set ups) you can't go wrong with this type of tarp.

Agree with this. If you're going to have just one tarp then a 3x3 gives lots of set up options and can be found in all sorts of materials to meet any budget.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have a tarp From Evan at Terra Rosa gear. Really well made and light, he will do customisations. The other one is from Snugpack, the jungle shelter another solid piece of kit.

No affiliation

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Another shout out for the 3x3. Same reasons mentioned above.

Totumpole

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a tarp From Evan at Terra Rosa gear. Really well made and light, he will do customisations. The other one is from Snugpack, the jungle shelter another solid piece of kit.

No affiliation

I've been keen to get a terra rosa one for a while now.

I would agree that you have made a versatile choice with a 3x3m number!

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I have some hoochies and I like them for sentimental reasons. The basic size and shape is good and will suit almost any use from hammock, to rain cover to stealth etc.
Hoochies do have the benefit that you can clip together as many as you like to make a larger shelter (although 1 or 2 is the most common configuration, I have seem half a dozen or more strung out)

A square cut tarp does offer some really good options for setting up in differing configurations, and I don't think you will go wrong with one of those either

Jazz The Boxer

Les Stroud
Reaction score

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I agree that a 3x3 tarp is probably the most versatile so you will be able to use it for car camping as well as bushwalking and if I was to buy one, it would be from Terra Rosa. For a while now (and until I buy a DIY one from Tier Gear) I have used the Oztrail Hiker Fly which you can get for around $40. It is 3.5m*2.1m and they recon it weighs 1kg although it weighs under half that if you don't count the pegs that it comes with. It has lasted well and although its not exactly what I would like, I can't complain at that price.