BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tarp Skinz Tier gear

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
50-1000 007.jpg50-1000 009.jpg50-1000 008.jpg

On the Grimwade meet I used the Tarp Skins from Tier Gear for the first time (http://www.tiergear.com.au/11/online-shop/tarp-skins)

I managed to get my 4x3m tarp from Evan at Tier gear with all the paracord plus the Nite Ize (https://www.niteize.com/product/Figure-9-Small.asp) figure 9 ( I use 8) into the skins with minimal effort.

There is also a pocket at either end for suspension hardware (I use Stingerz on zing-it)

The tarps are made of mesh which is tough and I had no concern that a snag was going to tear the mesh.

The skin is well-stitched and good quality overall.

I was very happy with the ease of use.

I have not used it in the rain, so don't know how the skin in a deployed position would handle this.
The only other issue , and this is minor, is that I find it does not pack into as small a volume as the original stuff sac that the tarp came with; the ease of deployment especially in a windy setting more than make up for this.

I case you're wondering the third pic shows the custom underquilt from Simon at Tier gear (another toasty piece of kit)

Thrudometer: 9.5/10 No affiliation.

Last edited:

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Mesh snake skins on your tarp are the way to go. I bought mine before Tier Gear existed so they're a little different and don't have the pocket you mention which sounds like a great addition. Regarding packing volume, I still use a stuff sack with mine to reduce the volume they occupy, The real benefit of the skins isn't in storing but in deploying and packing up, especially in windy conditions IMO.

Simon's making some great gear. I have a day hammock coming from him shortly.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Thrud must have been uncomfortable though because he slept with a chainsaw all night....
I'm a HH fan and have had snakeskins but these looked the goods.
Agreed on the good gear. I have used my hammock 2 weekends out of the past three with rain both weekends but my Tier Gear tarp stood me in good stead. Warm,high and dry when others were wet or cold or both.
I'll bite. My "thrudometer" is 9/10. No affiliation either. Keep up the good work, Simon.
Cheers
Bloffy

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive review and feedback. Now if I could just get out and use some of this gear myself that would be great. I have Sarah on board full-time now so I may just get out for a camp and walk one day soon.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I reckon a field testing trip to the West is in order so you can trial it in some real country.... (let the flaming begin).
A bloke I know here in Albany was a keen outdoorsman and 4wder, so he opened a shop selling that sort of gear. Spoke to him one day and he was complaining that he hadn't been offroading since had opened the store.
Cheers
Bloffy

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I reckon a field testing trip to the West is in order so you can trial it in some real country.... (let the flaming begin).
A bloke I know here in Albany was a keen outdoorsman and 4wder, so he opened a shop selling that sort of gear. Spoke to him one day and he was complaining that he hadn't been offroading since had opened the store.
Cheers
Bloffy

Ha ha one day we will get over there. We are putting things in place to make sure we get out more often, our youngest heads off to school next year so that will free up a lot of time.