BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tent, Fly, Tarp, Hoochie, Swag, Caravan etc what do you prefer and why?

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Hootchie... Light weight, multi-purpose: Shelter, stretcher, water crossing & floatation aid after prep, tube tent/Bivvi, rain coat, sun fly, water collection aid, wind/thermal protection like a space blanket, can be clipped to others to make a larger shelter (green to green or DPCU to DPCU only).

Thats just the beginning... not to mention set up/confiduration options. The ability to tie in a mosquito net and it fits perfectly over my hammock or bivvi...

rslt

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I used to carry a tarp and thermarest for about 20 years. Now i have swapped to a hammock (with built in flynet) and tarp set up, man, this is the best nights sleep when camping that I have ever had.
The hammock/fly and mat (blue ccf) are the same weight as a tarp with a thermarest (1.2kg, 1"thick).
The only issue is it is much bulkier, but definately worth the comfort.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hammock for me. I use a homemade gathered end hammock with a peapod sleepingbag which envelops the whole thing in winter. A warbonnet blackbird in summer. Big silnylon tarp over the top.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Should add, my hammock is a Hennessy Asym with built in Mozzie net... love it to death and goes with me everywhere.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Depends.

Trecking. Hoochie with bivie or hammock
4wd. Swag
Motorbike trips/lady friend tag along. Tent

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Like the swag for bike trips; use a mountain hardware sprite single man tent (bit over kilo in weight) for most other trips, also have a bivvy bag/tarp combo. Interested in a hammock, hear so many people rave about the comfort of a hammock, which makes me think they might be a good thing?
Aug 2009 Desert Trip 244.jpg

Attachments

• Aug 2009 Desert Trip 224.jpg
    Aug 2009 Desert Trip 224.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
I love my hammock, but I will say I was a ground sleeper for years and wouldn't have changed until I started working in the Jungle, after my first night in a hammock I never looked back, only problem is in cold weather they can be very cold, so you need a thermarest inside or use a blanket underneath to stop you losing body heat by convection...

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The idea of a hammock is really starting to appeal to me.Only thing is I don't know how my back would handle it? I guess that with an insulation layer beneath you than that would help keep the chill off your back.It couldn't be any worse than trying to imatate a pocket knife and crawl into a small hiking tent!I have seriously considered buying a tent like the GoLite so at least I can nearly stand up in it.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
The idea of a hammock is really starting to appeal to me.Only thing is I don't know how my back would handle it?

If it's set up right then your back should be fine, I got the Hennesy Asym so I could lay flat, as it is designed to lay at an angle across the hammock, rather than the old banana hammocks...

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's set up right then your back should be fine, I got the Hennesy Asym so I could lay flat, as it is designed to lay at an angle across the hammock, rather than the old banana hammocks...

Hi spent one cold sleepless night in a banana hammock and never looked backed, I have been checking out the Hennesy Asym you mentioned, it looks like such a massive improvement, I want to one! It also solves the issue of waking up in the morning with a bag full of blood because you shared with a leech...
IMG_0989.jpg

Last edited:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
It's definatlly a huge step forward thats for sure...

Hmmm... leeches... I hate leeches.
But it looks like you gave a pretty good blood sample for the night though...

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Being a long time bushwalker. I have used and owned a lot of tents.
I used a traditional tent for years and still have a couple of mountain tents for snow travel with others but these days I find I just use a cheap nylon flysheet ( or Hootchie ) in summer, but my
"Go to" shelter is a pyramid tarp, in my case an old black Diamond // Chouinard "Megamid" which should give me another 10 years as I reproofed using diluted silicon

I have been meaning to make a hammock and try it out again. My last attempt was in a hammock that was simply too small to work.

Every bushcrafter should own a decent tarp or flysheet tho, and I think that it should be a little bigger than an army hootchie for bushcraft purposes, 3000 X 4500mm would be a good starting point IMO only of course.

Longbowman

Russell Coight
Reaction score
gDAY fella's
My first post so be gentle haha
I have used the siam hammock for a while and think its great, been in some doozy gulf storms and come out dry as a bone . They are cold no doubt about it, i have tried the thermo rests and other forms of foam but only 50/50 happy with that. I found it was easier to set it up as a tent and sleep on the ground when a cold snap moved in.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
G'day and welcome...

One thing that I have been experimenting with for cold weather hammock use, is to get a sleeping bag, cut a small hole in the foot end and feed the hammock into it, then string it up as normal climb in, zip it up and pull the draw cords tight... just like a cocoon, works pretty well as you dont crush your insulation...

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
does anyone make a hammock with a built in closed cell foam base? seams so obvious... It would roll up like my foam bedroll, but be hammock and tent in one. I have seen the hole in the foot of the bag trick, but the thought of doing that to my down bag is a bit off putting, and with asymmetrical hammocks, would it still work? I have never owned a hiking tent, I do have a little bivy sack I used in NZ as I could not stand the damn sand flies, never used it since though... I am keen to give hammocks another go.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
With the asym... no... the net gets in the way, but good for the old banana type...

with the bag, just stitch a circle into the foot and then cut a slit in the centre and she'll be apples..

The termorest underneath could work, just make a pocket out of some SilNy and stitch it on or rig up a couple of clips along the sides to hold it in place... or like i have done, put the thermorest inside and sleep as you would in a bivvi bag on the ground.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
My Speer peapod bag is huge, about 9 foot long and is wide enough to accommodate lying asymmetrically in my homemade hammock. I found a normal bag a bit narrow, forcing me to lie in a straight banana shape.
Regarding the hammock with built in CCF base, my first DIY hammock was two layers of ripstop from spotlight, sewn together to provide a pocket for my sleepingmat. It kept it in place when I moved around and helped to disperse some of the condensation.

Great to hear there are so many hammock users in Oz.

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I prefer the Swag, i use a 2 person Matilda made by the Jolly Swagman and a Hoochie along with it.

Matilda_1.jpg

Last edited: