BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tent, Fly, Tarp, Hoochie, Swag, Caravan etc what do you prefer and why?

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good review of the Hennessy for anyone interested

[video=youtube;4SNOFN1NNos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNOFN1NNos&feature=related[/video]

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
some good tips on using a Hennessy in this one.

[video=youtube;OwzZTeAE3yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzZTeAE3yc&feature=related[/video]

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hammock for me. I use a homemade gathered end hammock with a peapod sleepingbag which envelops the whole thing in winter. A warbonnet blackbird in summer. Big silnylon tarp over the top.

I would love to see some pics of your setup mate if you would not mind posting?

Cheers

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Corin,
I don't have great hammock shots from trips, so put it up in the backyard instead.
Here's the peapod sleepingbag, around 9 foot long.
peapod.jpg

It's encasing the DIY hammock, attached to the tree via whoopie slings and 1" treehuggers, so I don't ringbark the trees.
whoopie.jpg

Here's the silnylon tarp over the top.
tarp.jpg

In really cold conditions I use a big custom 3 by 3m tarp, which I can seal off from wind by the "doors". Makes a huge difference to the temp. I had it made up for me by Terrarosagear in Sydney.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey that is really nice! I have been looking at as many different models as I could find. I feel I will be having another go at hammock hiking in the near future. How much does the whole thing weigh? How do you get in? if you unzip the bag won't the bag hit the ground? Ok so that would not be a problem in normal conditions but could lead to a wet muddy bag if you were setting up in a storm. Or am I missing something. I just had a look at the Terra Rosa Gear site.
Looks like he does very good work! I have been hiking with a Outer limits Fly sheet for the past 5 or so years, cost me about $25 it does have its limitations though... I now have something else on my wish list!

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting!

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
The peapod weighs 1.2kg, which is pretty good considering how much 900 fill power down is in it. The ends are tied via drawstring to the hammock ends, so when you unvelcro the entrance, it doesn't touch the ground. I thought the velcro would be a pain to do up, but by pulling the sides taut and touching the velcro together, it's actually quicker than a zip.
The hammock weighs 230g and the tarp around 440g.
$20 of ripstop nylon from spotlight should do it, a 3m length for a good diagonal lay, or 6m folded in half for a two layer hammock to put a pad in.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds really well thought out... I think more research is warranted before I make a decision.

Thanks for the input Wentworth

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have a hammock with a built in mozzie net and it's a great thing but won't see any use until I'm back home in Oz. Here in the PNW it's simply too bloody cold to be in a hammock. By the time I pack in an underquilt, tarp and enough cordage, it takes up more room than a tent and weighs the same. A tent is simply less of a fuss and with a mat and my bag keeps me plenty warm. If it's super cold I throw down my foil thermal under my pad, reflects all that good heat right back at me.

The hammock - well my sleeping pad isn't big enough to prevent heat loss in a hammock and slides side to side in the night. My bag is very good in cold weather but last time out I had my pad, my bag and a full wool blanket around me and still froze my rear off. Carrying all that is too much weight. In tropical weather I am sure I'll love my hammock.

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
i've only ever used tents except for sleeping under the stars on seven mile beach on the south coast where i learnt that sand is a very hard and somewhat cold bed.
been thinking about a 'thoeretical setup' similiar to a hammock except on the ground. u have two tarps the one overhead in a 'inverted v' shape as in a hammock with the other tarp as a ground sheet forming another 'v' shape with a flat portion where u sleep. this would supposedly keep the rain away as well as water on the ground. i hope i have explained this. there must be something wrong with this setup as i vae never seen it used. can any see why?

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
You could just pack one tarp large enough to fold into a shelter, like a pyramid and so on.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Shane,
when I started with a hammock, I used to get cold shoulders with a narrow sleeping pad too. Some people have sewn a tube of nylon to slip their pad into, then sewn pockets to the side of it which they stuff with clothing (picture wings off your sleeping pad) that protect the overhanging shoulders from the cold.

feebullet

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
P1010114.jpg oztent RV4 with deluxe annex, sleeps the family of 4, with self contained kitchen. 4yr old can put it up with the wife finish it off and add the annex. Either that or my hammock... just prussick knotted nylon line with a mozzie net and hootchie over the top.

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
I love my Hennesy ultralight zip hammock with my Spear snug fit. I'm a really cold sleeper and can never get comfy on the ground so that system is perfect for me.
I find that I need to put something under my knees to support my lower back (extra clothes work well), but overall it provides a great night's sleep.

Gundy

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have recently moved to a Darche single person 'hybrid' tarp/tent. I still need to find a tarp that I am happy with however. Pic from net;
darche-hybrid.jpg

Archer

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hennessy explorer deluxe hammock.With the large size of the explorer during the wet in Nth Qld I could fit everything inside so it stayed dry but since moving south I need to sort out some form of insulation.
With the family the old oztrail 10+ has served well.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have recently moved to a Darche single person 'hybrid' tarp/tent. I still need to find a tarp that I am happy with however. Pic from net;
darche-hybrid.jpg
good choice mate, I have long been thinking that the Hybrid would be a great little 1man tent.
I have several shelter options, I found a very cheap, light 2 man tent(1.9KG) at Kmart for $12, it has become the central point of my shelter options.I have added several tarps(1 HD 8'x10', and 2 light duty ground sheets), paracord, bungie lines, a few extra SS pegs a 1 person inflatable mattress, foam ground mat and a picnic blanket.I also add a light weight(10 degree) sleeping bag and I am all set for most camping situations(this is my personal set up, I of coarse have more tents etc for the rest of my family)

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I prefere my oil cloth. It is very versatile & can be used in many forms. I also use it as a rain coat if caught on the trail by rain. I like to have a fire as most of my camping is done in winter. With my oil cloth the fire keeps me warm, & I don't have to leave the shelter to stoke the fire or cook food or get a hot drink.
002wkl.jpg

003ffc.jpg

I have a permanent half-faced shelter in Fox Valley.
img08212k.gif

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It all depends on my situation these days. If I head off for a weeks duck hunting, etc I usually take my camper trailer.
A long week ends camping might see me take my Southern Cross Ultimate 9' tent.
A week end or a single night would see me previously use my home made swag, but due to having 'mechanic's back' I now find it a lot more comfortable to use a Coleman stretcher under my swag. I also usually have an 8'x10' canvas tarp rain shelter overhead tied off on the car roof rack.
For hiking I still use a Full Length Thermarest matress with my Navigator sleeping bag.
Have toyed with the idea of a Hammock for a while & after reading the comments here I might start doing something in that direction I think.

Bill A.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Le Loup, I always love your gear and your approach.

I like the way you have proped up the centre line with an extra pole, to stop the tarp sagging in the middel.

How is the tarp attached at the top, is it just tied at the corners, or is there a lashing all the way along ?