BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tent, Fly, Tarp, Hoochie, Swag, Caravan etc what do you prefer and why?

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Bartnmax, you're right about some of those cheap dome tents, one time I saw two green and silver, Kmart -resin poled- dome tents collapse within minutes of each other after their poles snapped in heavy wind.

I have been thinking seriously of other options. For example: I like the idea of a camper trailer, or a tear drop camper but often I can't get them out of the car park and exactly where I want them, next to the nice spot where I want to sit. The OZ tents look great, but at $1800 for a good set up, I'd be worried about it going missing every time I went off for a walk.
I have also been considering making or buying a "slide on" for my ute. Rhino Marine make a good relatively cheap one, but it's wider than I would like. I could get a custom made aluminum checker plate version of the Rhino marine for well under $4000 perhaps $3000, compared to nearly $13000. Need to remember that while my ute is one tonne rated, many options use up half that capacity before it's loaded with gear and supplies.
If we like the 4WD camper that we are hiring in WA, soon..who knows, we might get one of those. :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M2O-MADE-LOCALLY-Aluminium-Canopy-Toolbox-Dual-Cab-Utes-Trucks-Campers-/280844866437?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4163a89385

[video=youtube;_q8RWv0AhEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q8RWv0AhEs[/video]

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I was fortunate with my camper in that I got it from a mate for an absolute song at $1600 in near new condition about 10 years ago.
The base trailer was made by Bayswater trailers with the canvas by Southrn cross.
The quality of the canvas on the trailer, and that of my Sthrn cross tent, has definitely impressed me with the Sthrn cross products.
Just fantastic canvas work.
As stated it's not an off rd trailer but a HD trailer capable of limited off rd use.
I made a frame for it to support my ali boat for duck hunting.
Yeah it takes a few minutes (about 20 actually) to remove the boat, then the frame, then unfold the camper & get it set up fully, but once it's up (complete with fly) it is about as impervious to bad weather as anything I've ever seen or used.
Many's the time I've gone away duck hunting & had severe storms hit, & like yerself I've had mates that bought their dome tents along & they ended up in my camper in the wee hrs of the morning after they got a nasty surprise from the storm.
The camper has never even looked like being bothered by a storm & has never leaked a single drop.
it's also a god send in that I have great protection from the sun with the fly plus all manner oif gear to make an extended stay comfortable (genie + gas shower stowed in the camper + engle in the car).
It's also brilliant in the hot weather as with the bed being 4 foot above ground, and with so many big windows with insect screens the breeze at night makes sleeping in hoit weather very comfortable.

I love the sthrn cross tent also as it is beautifully made & with the pyramid shape it has adequate height to allow drying/changing inside if you're wet (which I often am when getting back to camp after a days deer hunting in winter. The fly also gives excellent outside protection & can even be folded/pegged down toi give a 'tunnel' access to the tent when the weather is real bad.

Both have their place but there are times when they aren't suitable & at those times I generally use the swag, but as stated age is now forcing a rethink & so I'm now using the camp stretcher with swag on top, or when hiking I'm now turning to the hammock. Personally I love the Hennesey Hammock (bought it 2nd hand right here from 'Vladtheimpaler' - many thanks once again Vlad) and if I get the under insulation issue properly sorted I reckon it will be perfect.
Apart from being off the ground & easilly packed I like the rustic atmosphere of using the hammock.

Bill.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Some cheap and nasty tents are just that, but a lot of the broken poles you get are the result of not thinking your situation through clearly and in advance.

A lot of fibreglass poles ( and the super strong 7000 aluminium stuff too ) flex too much due to improper guying technique and some factory shortcuts in manufacture.

I have used cheap $35- K-mart tents on Bogong in winds of more than gale force ( OK only once or twice ) all dome tents need guy-lines attached where the poles are, and they need to be firmly attached to the poles as well.
Usually this means adding extra guy lines, this is easy to do; you just stitch a section of nylon or polyester tape long the seam about 200mm of tape is plenty with 100mm of double stitching, the hard part is usually attaching them to the poles, I was lucky, K-mart had some cheap Velcro watch-bands that were perfect. Velcro is more than strong enough to do the job and these days they actually sell short handy loops at Bunnies.
How-ever I would not recommend the cheapest tents for the mountains, unless you really know what your are doing, and are prepared for the consequences of loosing the tent

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Hi all,
I too am in my very early 50s and have a heavy duty hard floor onroad camper.
Its just too heavy and large to set up and move around. Most of my 5 kids are in
the process of leaving home so im contemplating which way to go next.
Basically I see 2 options
Sell off the camper trailer and convert my 2002 LR Defender into a camper.
Or start from scratch, buy a smaller 4x and maybe an OZtent for quick set up or similar.
Anybody had experience with OZtents?

Hairy

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Never owned an OzTent but always wanted one, talked to the owner of the company many times and always impressed with his depth of knowledge and enthusiasm. The fact that they fetch more than new prices for second says lot about the quality. I have not been impressed with the units made overseas tho, if buying one I want the poly-cotton canvas.
A small trailer and a bigger Oz-Tent is top of my wish list.
trailer set up with just a small kitchen above the drop down, keeping it very minimal and as light-weight as possible

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I know several guys that have Oz Tents & they like them a lot.
They are not 100% waterproof though as I've seen a couple that have leaked at corners, etc in good rain.
The main thing I dont like about the oztent is the length of it.
It basically folds into a long tube & requires a roof rack for carriage.
IMO both the Southern Cross tent & Freedom tents are far superior in terms of materials, design, & workmanship.
Both are based on the original 'minute tent' concept by Freedom tents.
They are easy to errect, roomy, very stable, top quality, & are able to be storred easier than the Oztent (car boot, or in my case in the back of my 4wd).

Cant recommend the Southern Cross tents highly enough. Just beautiful, top class workmanship & materials.
I also have a fly for mine

SCCTents0509-422121299-300x184.jpg

Bill.

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Freedom tents are very good. The factory is (still) in Melbourne, although much of the manufacturing is (or was) done in NZ (I believe).

The lovely thing is that if you have an issue, there are local folk who can sort it out. We had damag to the tent floor, but were able to drop it off and have it repaired - incidentally still covered by the 5 year warranty (at that time).

Very good service.

Rusty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I love my trusty ol' Krapmandu mono tent. Usually their stuff is so over priced but i got it on sale from $149 to $89 so i got one and never looked back.

Before that i had a Darche hybrid which i absolutely hated, pain to set up and no fly so you can guess the problems with condensation.

krapmandu.jpg