BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tent pegs for hard ground

McGinnis

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I use these for my car camping gear - they are forged and I have never bent one. But they are not exactly light!

http://www.drifta.com.au/solid-stakes/

And while the pegs are made in Japan they are available from Drifta - an Aussie company based in Gloucester NSW.

I just bought a set of these pegs; they seem perfect for 4wd camping (Swags, awnings and my Safari tent). Cheers!

I'll post a quick review after the long weekend (and their first run).

McGinnis

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I just bought a set of these pegs; they seem perfect for 4wd camping (Swags, awnings and my Safari tent). Cheers!

I'll post a quick review after the long weekend (and their first run).

So, I spent the long weekend glamping down at Wombeyan Caves. Normally a 2wd-accessible campground isn't my kind of thing, but we're trying to ease some friends into camping by visiting places with facilities first, then weaning off them.

Despite the screaming children and hordes of caravan- and trailer-campers, it was a pleasant weekend, resulting in some much needed exposure to campfire smoke and the outdoors in general.

I made good use of the Snow Peak stakes mentioned above, purchased through Drifta. The delivery time was great, by the way.

I bought stakes in three sizes - 40 cm (308 grams), 30 cm (180 g), and 20 cm (72 g). Car camping the weight is of no real concern, though these are definitely not pegs I'd take hiking. They're practically weapons. Extremely well made, and nearly impossible to bend (even the 20 cm stake).

Comparatively, my MSR Blizzards are 32 g each, Groundhogs are 14 g, and DAC Ti Vs are 12 g.

I used two 40 cm stakes on my canvas awning, 4 30 cm stakes on my EPE Speedy Sahara tent, and a couple of 20 cm stakes on tent guylines.

Conditions weren't nearly enough to test any of the stakes, but by my reckoning it'd take a hurricane to displace them from anything but the softest ground.

Highly recommended for car/basecamp setups; definitely not for hiking, simply due to weight. No pics were taken onsite, but I'll take a few once I set the tent up to air out in the yard.