BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ancient practice of Macrozamia pit processing in southwestern Australia

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Remember many years ago with a bushwalking party in the Ettrema Wilderness we came across what was called "Macrazami Palms" with those bright red fruits. One of the group was familar with these and said the Aborigines used to soak them for a long time.

After boiling they could be eaten. If this was not done the fruits could give violent stomach cramps or much worse.

Myself was never game to try the experiment.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Interesting article. Links within it to earlier work and nutritional composition. Didn’t know about the 6th sense of taste!
Still not sure if it was poisonous. Maybe we can test it out on Bloffy, he has a cast- iron constitution.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Remember many years ago with a bushwalking party in the Ettrema Wilderness we came across what was called "Macrazami Palms" with those bright red fruits. One of the group was familar with these and said the Aborigines used to soak them for a long time.

After boiling they could be eaten. If this was not done the fruits could give violent stomach cramps or much worse.

Myself was never game to try the experiment.
I found the differences between the east coast and west coast practices quite interesting.
Especially with the article suggesting that the flesh is actually not toxic, but was prepared to reduce the risk just the same, and more importantly that it tastes better and lasts longer.

Plus the usual warning: DO NOT TRY IT! :malefico: