The Hidden Woodsman Haversack Compare & Contrast An Alternative Look

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay guys this is a alternative in depth look at hidden woodsman haversack..I wanted to Compare and Contrast hidden woodsman Haversack with some other outdoor gear both modern and vintage..

[video=youtube;hIV3CtdkvuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIV3CtdkvuE&t=430s[/video]

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks HD,
A very insightful review and useful to get your take on the various packs. I'd never heard of that company, but he has a good website and that haversack looks very tempting. I have been meaning to do a review of the Helikon Tek bush crafting bag that I got many months ago and your review has spurred me to do this.
I have the HRO man bag and agree with your comments about the quality of construction and the fact that it can be rolled up. Of all the bags I have, that is the one I keep coming back to.
Thanks for taking the time to do that vid.

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The hidden woodsman haversack is great. The only improvement would be some molle on the back so you can easily attach it to another pack maybe.
I added a hazard 4 shoulder pad to mine.
The possibles bag/ dopp pouch Malcolm does is really nice too.

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The yugo bag is a heap better if you put a modern strap on it. Theres a few different models ...the better ones have the push the dot clasps like you have. Theres some guys out of serbia thay sell the unissued one cheap as well as mess kits and plash all unused.

The gas mask pack gets high prices due to its popularity with indiana jones fans. You can buy a leather strap with a brass buckle fairly cheap that will be movie accurate and more usable than the original strap....but honestly the bag is tiny.
Theres a movie called 'secrets of the Incas' ...its on youtube...it inspired the 'look' of indiana jones. That character had a ww1 Officers Mussette bag....bigger and better in every way to the mark vii gas mask bag. I think indy the indy costumers just cheaped out. What price Glory do a pretty decent replica in canvas leather and brass.

Last edited:

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;20TAGRElvfE]https://youtu.be/20TAGRElvfE[/video]
[video=youtube_share;AfpbkTseVOI]https://youtu.be/AfpbkTseVOI[/video]

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
The yugo bag is a heap better if you put a modern strap on it. Theres a few different models ...the better ones have the push the dot clasps like you have. Theres some guys out of serbia thay sell the unissued one cheap as well as mess kits and plash all unused.

The gas mask pack gets high prices due to its popularity with indiana jones fans. You can buy a leather strap with a brass buckle fairly cheap that will be movie accurate and more usable than the original strap....but honestly the bag is tiny.
Theres a movie called 'secrets of the Incas' ...its on youtube...it inspired the 'look' of indiana jones. That character had a ww1 Officers Mussette bag....bigger and better in every way to the mark vii gas mask bag. I think indy the indy costumers just cheaped out. What price Glory do a pretty decent replica in canvas leather and brass.

As with a lot army surplus kit it is great stuff for anyone who loves to modify gear.But you have to judge a bit of kit as it comes as not everyone has the skill time or inclination to do modifications.As a footnote the gas mask bag is used in the indiana jones films as a prop his just leads to a increase of the price.As I say this is at the more expensive end of the surplus market.

The original gear like the mark VII gas bag is a link to the pass and has a kind of soul and character you don't get with the reproduction gear.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've pulled the pin on the HW haversack, a Christmas present to myself!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
You are going to have to build a third garage for all your gear mate, because your other two will be chockas.
I have been carrying a haversack by Bush Track, for both work and bushcrafting for the past six months. It is a fairly basic, single tub.
It is made in India and distributed out of Melbourne. I bought it from my local camping shop for $9 (l think).
Day to day, I carry my water bottle, my Go Pro and a small bag with a spare battery and some other odds and sods, a notebook and pen, a small drawstring bag with my keys and a torch.
I am prototyping a techno-medieval wayfarer type rig. My recent dry foods challenge was intended to fit in the haversack, along with part of my cooking set up.
I think I am going to have to do a separate write-up on this.
Either way, for a fairly small bag, it carries a heap of gear.
My point is I totally rate my haversack. It has been a great addition to my bushcrafting kit.
Cheers
Bloffy

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Sorry but I just don't get it. Why would I choose a haversack over a small rucksack, which will not get in the way as much and always leave me with both hands free. I'll admit they look good but I find nothing more annoying than something sliding and banging around my hips when I'm walking (I used to commute with a laptop bag this way). Having to take the pack off to get something out is a small price to pay in my opinion.

I don't want to offend anyone and am happy to accept I'm odd!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
You’re not odd! And I don’t think you’ll offend anyone!
I have one of Benny’s man bags and find that very useful and also a Helikon bag. For me at least, I find having a little bit of extra carry available is useful with a bigger pack. The bags crumple down into next to nothing and I will have them in or attached to the main pack. When I want to have a wander, or if I cannot pack as neatly in the middle of the night, then I’ll put (lightweight) kit in them. I say lightweight, as I have have found, as you imply, that they become uncomfortable and awkward if overloaded, that is why the smaller size of the HRO man at makes it a more useable piece of kit. As for the Haversack I’ve ordered, I’ll have to wait and see how that fits into my MO. I’d be interested to see what others think/ use about their bags.
Horses for courses I guess!

Seasons greetings to all!

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but I just don't get it. Why would I choose a haversack over a small rucksack, which will not get in the way as much and always leave me with both hands free. I'll admit they look good but I find nothing more annoying than something sliding and banging around my hips when I'm walking (I used to commute with a laptop bag this way). Having to take the pack off to get something out is a small price to pay in my opinion.

I don't want to offend anyone and am happy to accept I'm odd!
Whatever works for you...I find a haversack are good in the heat as you don't get a sweaty back