Feedback The intro for new people

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been following all of the intros... get quite a few of them. Maybe it's just because now that they are forced to do it that i'm noticing this, but, there seems to be a trend that they sign up do the intro then we don't hear anything. Some of them are quite interesting and i've been looking forward to them posting... do you think it's just a lot of people signing up and then forgetting? It was probably happening before but none of us except admin/mods knew it was going on.

I know the defaults for when I joined, nothing except the first signup stuff was sent to me via email... maybe it would be good to subscribe them to their intro thread and set it to email them updates from that thread so that they see people welcoming them and have incentive to come back? I'm sure there would be a way to do this automagically...

Anyway, just a thought.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
When I first logged in last month, I sent the intro and then did not get the email to activate; Blake did it manually after I emailed him. Might be true for some, but looking at the intros, some have thanked the people who replied, so maybe it was just my server/email account (I did check the trash)

thunderbird

Russell Coight
Reaction score
As for myself, I am still here and reading. I just don't feel that I have a lot of useful stuff to contribute. I have a lot of interests and I do a lot of different things and I guess this doesn't leave a lot of time to write posts.
And then there are the kids...and work...

ninefivefox

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
You raise a good point because we have such diversity amongst members yet we share a unity in thought. However, it does take a while between your intro being posted and you being able to post. This in its self is not such a big deal except I struggled to locate my intro once I could post because it was no longer contained in the what's new folder. I finally located it by logging back in via email. An other thing is as a new user you can spend hours reading some of the old threads which a still relevant to us newbies but you don't want to be that guy that raises old threads which has all you old hands rolling your eyes as we reraise questions you guys put to bed a year ago.

Now that said I know this forum is not like that at all but if your new you just want to ease in and I agree email alerts to intro posts would encourage interaction with new users.

Last edited:

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have noticed this too.

As said a invitation to return is a great safeguard to ensure the start up process is in order.

I would also suspect that many join and then set off on a quest in searching threads for answers they dont want to ask for fear of being told to search. If the answers are found then great, but still no entry may be seen. If the answers are not found then maybe the question is asked.

The more information the forum has then the less questions need to be asked, the forum then looks for experiances to be shared for matter.

Engagement and participation either from sharing skills or experiances, be them new skills to one or old experiances of others its all about sharing and contributing.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is how poorly some forums treat new starters when they ask questions.

Maybe they have had bad experiences so are easing in...

Toddy

Les Stroud
Reaction score
The ability to actually post took a while after I joined; but I mod another forum and a mod has to approve every newbie now simply because the spammers were becoming a right royal pain in the backside :(
I knew that the delay wasn't disapproval, simply folks have busy lives, so just waited patiently. If folks don't know that though, they might well be discouraged and don't come back.
I think an automated email that simply says something like, "Thank you for subscribing. In an effort to deny access to spammers all first posts are Moderated. Mods and Admins are volunteers (yeah, right, we're conscripted :) ) and have busy lives outwith the forums, please be patient, but assured that someone will be in contact with you as possible.", would probably help those who might feel discouraged.

On the thread resurrection; I'm of the opinion that there might not be very many new questions, but that doesn't mean that someone new knows the answers; and bringing up the topic again often offers additional information even to the old hands.
Instead of a snappy, 'DO A SEARCH !", a welcoming response with an appropriate link is much more helpful. Forums survive because folks feel welcome to join in the discussions; if that's inhibited then no one learns anything, let alone anything new :)

Toddy

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Very good feedback from all
I have some of the same concerns
I would also suggest if any intro specifically interest you is ask a question or two for them to read and possibly reply .
This will hopefully be two fold it shows an interest in that member also it will possibly get a reply which will be a start to a long contribution to the forum

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is how poorly some forums treat new starters when they ask questions.

Maybe they have had bad experiences so are easing in...
Lepmeister and Pap11y, you both raise good points.
I don't like the brusque 'use the search function' response that seems popular on lots of forums.
Everyone on the forum loves the topic (bushcraft in our case) and I would think they'd relish a new opportunity to pass on knowledge. We don't get the unwelcoming replies to newbies on Bushcraftoz. Hopefully they realise that and don't feel unwelcome.
I also don't mind thread resurrection, even from 2001 threads on other forums. I think they're interesting.

Tezza

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I don't think anyone on this forum has been anything other than polite and welcoming, I think perhaps a lot of it has to do with people not feeling that they have anything to contribute, as has already been raised. That's how I feel, between work and my 9 month old, I rarely have any time to do anything much, and when I do have spare time, there's a list of other things that needs to be done. On the odd occasion that I do get some free time to myself, i'm normally hunting for meat for the freezer and don't have time to do bushcrafty type things. However, I log onto Bushcraftoz nearly every day that my ship is alongside and I can access a computer, and I really look forward to it.
I think perhaps this is how it is for a lot of people, they simply don't have time to get out bush and they do it vicariously through this forum, or perhaps their bushcrafting skills are in their infancy and they don't feel that what they've learnt is worthy of contribution to a forum with so many experienced people on it.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers.

ninefivefox

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Tezza is spot on I've been flat on my back for nearly 2 months, I've rarely been outside let alone in the bush but I really enjoy everyone else's exploits and reviews.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I have been here for a while now.
I don't always get out bush as often as I would like but I have never found anyone here anthing but helpful.
For any newbies reading this, just remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
I, for one have resurrected a number of threads from the dim, dark distant past and have had some great feedback.
Never feel like you are an outsider. There are no strangers here, just friendships waiting to be developed.
Sounds cliched and a bit w anky but it's true.
If no-one else will talk to you, I will. Gawd knows I could do with new friends :_s:
Cheers
Bloffy

Westie

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I know form my experience of being the newbie that when you first sign up, I was all excited and wanted to get in and reply to the people that warmly welcomed me to the forum. The delay in being able to reply was for me worrying as I didn't know of I had done everything right or not (being this is the only forum I have been on).
That's the first thing and then the perception of the new kid chiming in on post new or old, is like walking up to a group of people on the street and trying to join the conversation. A least that the feelings I had.

It didn't take long to find out that is not like that at all. And the people n he forum are just a bunch of supportive like minded people.

If your a newbie, start by replying to your welcome threads then step into the deep end!

Westie

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Another thing I will add. I don't know the rights or wrongs of forums so I try to go back thru the threads to find what I'm looking for before asking questions that have been answered ages ago. Cheers.

discord

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I quite often sign up to forums just to help me keep track of which threads I've read, not because I have a lot to contribute. Especially on a site like this where nearly every post is worth reading :_lol:

Perhaps others do, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.