BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the ultimate ferro rod striker

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have long advocated the use of the super striker for ferro rods, as they get the most out of the rod, well I have found an even better striker. They are called the Eze Edge sharpening tool and feature a super hard carbide striking edge, and a useful length handle so you can really bear down on the rod, and the sparks produced are literately BRILLIANT. An added advantage is they can be used to sharpen tools in an emergency as well, adding so much more to the tool's versatility. One thing these sparkers really chew thru the rod, so I would advise using them on the 1/2" ferro rods, the smaller rods won't stand up to constant use very well. You can buy these strikers from BePreparedToSurvive, mine cost like $14 including post.
Here is the spark off my small rod(and being used by my 7yo son)
2011-07-20_15-16-36_131lawsonfire3.jpg

2011-07-20_15-16-42_323lawsonfire5.jpg

2011-07-20_15-23-05_492eze3.jpg

2011-07-20_15-23-17_54eze2.jpg

2011-07-20_15-23-35ezesharpener.jpg

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Im not sure if these photos are exaggerating the spark or not. But if thats what it really looks like WOW. I'll have to buy me one of those strikers. Mines nothing like that

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks templar and wave man. That should make fire lighting a lot easier on those wet and cold days

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Plus it multi purpose. That a very big PLUS in my book

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
definitely don't buy these sharpeners off ebay(they are usually branded as the Corona Sharpening tool, essentially the same sharpener just a different brand) as all the ones I have seen have a $40 postage fee, on a $8 item that postage is ridiculous.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's insane, I'll probably stick with the old back of the knife but it's good to know. Is this just simply the result of using a very hard, sharpened edge to draw more ferro off the rod? Or is there something else going on here?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Is this just simply the result of using a very hard, sharpened edge to draw more ferro off the rod?
that and the longer length handle, the striker certainly sparks well, as I said better then any other type that I have seen or used.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Just strips more Ferro off the rod... my Northstar gets similar results because the spine has a 90 deg angle to it... but this is a useful option for those who dont like to discolour their blades...

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here is a you tube vid showing the difference between a normal super striker and the more efficient carbide sharpener/striker
[video=youtube;HhMTzcbFyCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhMTzcbFyCs[/video]

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Good comparison video. Another item for the wish list...

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I often use a old hacksaw blade as a striker seem to do the job.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I often use a old hacksaw blade as a striker seem to do the job.

while the hacksaw blade will work(and is free usually) you can get far more spark when you use a super striker or even better a carbide sharpener/striker. Combined with a 1/2"diameter ferro rod and you will be amazed at how much spark you will produce. That being said if you are happy with the hacksaw go with it mate, just showing other options;)