BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

Tinder boxes

Chigger

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
For years have been looking about for a source of small tins which could be used as firelighting tinderboxes. Was wandering about the local IGA Discount Dave's Christmas section stumbled across these small tins.

Meant for storing Xmas cards etc but will do well for tinderboxes, charring tins or storing spare punkwood etc.

Tinderboxes.JPG

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I kind of by plane tins the same dimensions as Altods tin"s..

Chigger

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Most likely these are Altoids tins just painted up with Xmas logo's. Handy to have a couple about the place.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
this is excellent advice mate, and I've bought those in the past. I have a weakness for tins and love. love, love tins.

Many stores sell various-sized tins these days with Christmas themes on them as gift boxes, all useful for us, and don't forget about the Danish cookie tins. This is the time of year to be stocking up on tins.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Altods tins seem to be the most common tin used with flint and steel. I use them because they are uniform ,and I am making kits to sell. Of course you can use any tin..FB_IMG_1653033200621.jpgFB_IMG_1668808575491.jpgFB_IMG_1668633434515.jpg

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I refused to buy Altoids tin because of their cost, the generic tins off ebay are as good (IMHO) Americans use the Altoids because they can get them at a reasonable price.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I refused to buy Altoids tin because of their cost, the generic tins off ebay are as good (IMHO) Americans use the Altoids because they can get them at a reasonable price.
The legendary Altods tin is like the industry standard for bushcraft and flint and steel aficionados!

That is why I use them ,as I am kinda making a product to sell. The buyer recognised what it is and there's an element of uniformity with a handcrafted product.

But most of time I am using the generic cheaper no brand "Altoids" tins off ebay. Sometimes you can get real Altoids mints marked down on specialty confectionery stores. The Cinnamon flavour is not very popular and often marked down. But Altods mints are expensive and hard to find an Australia. In the USA they are as very cheap and kind of makes more sense.

If I was not making kits to sell I would use vintage tins from the local flea markets.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
The legendary Altods tin is like the industry standard for bushcraft and flint and steel aficionados!

That is why I use them ,as I am kinda making a product to sell. The buyer recognised what it is and there's an element of uniformity with a handcrafted product.

I absolutely agree mate and understand your thought process and reasoning behind why you use them. The altoid tins are also very well made.

Americans rave over them and basically won't use anything else.