Feedback Too many sub-forums and sub-sub-forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Blake,

I'm on a bit of a cranky today so I thought to myself "what better time than now to bring this up" ?

I'd like to get a few other's opinions, but I'm finding the sub-forums and sub-sub-forums especially on Bushcraft Skills a bit tedious to work through. There are not vast numbers of threads on these, and I like to skim through all the headings with minimum clicks just to see what's going on. I don't alway know what will take my eye until I see it. It also makes it a bit confusing to locate things.

What do you think about consolidating the sub-forums into just "Bushcraft Skills", perhaps some of the sub-sub-forums could become just sub-forums or they could all just go into "Bushcraft Skills" ?

Ditto for "Resources and Learning" ?

Just a thought. No hastle.

Can others say what they think, perhaps its just me ?

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Hi Aussie 123
I am not trying to answer for Blake and Not answering as a moderator either.
To me the sub forums are good way of keeping same topic posts together. and then there is still room within bushcraft for open topics not covered in sub forums.

And with the sub sub forums you mention I think that has to do with the Tracking thread. This was done recently only to allow continual imput of memebers to tracking signs and scats so we could achieve two things 1st create a database, 2nd was as the info by members gets added they will not push general talks(threads) down the list unnecessarily .

What I found to be of use trying to find new entries was use the quick links button at top of forum and click today's post. this brings up all threads written since last logged on.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Gday Aussie123,

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback mate.

I can understand lots of sub forums can get hard to navigate. It is a fine act with balancing organization with ease of access. I think the sub forums under bushcraft skills are a necessity because as auscraft said otherwise you will just have a forum full of categorized bushcraft posts, the idea is here that people mainly interesting in fire or water have a place to go as opposed to searching or browsing lots of posts. Same goes for the resource forum and bush tucker forum. If these were just made very general it tends to get pretty messy, but yes you can also go to far.

The only sub-sub forum are the tracking forum and this was a special decision so we would have a place to create and maintain a resource database for track, signs and scats. As this is mainly a reference forum not alot of chat will go on here anyway. Auscraft covered the reasons for that.

I will continue to monitor it though.

I also use the "new posts" link alot and find it very helpful. I have had the thought of implementing some kind of "most active threads" list at the top of the page. This is not an option with our forum software and would require some custom work so might take some time for testing and implementing. Let me know if you think this might be something that would be useful.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.