BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Turtledog" stand in Oz?

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
For those that are wondering what a Turtledog stand is it's a freestanding hammock stand to allow you to hang without trees or other supports. Huge thread at Hammock Forums: https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/51787-The-TurtleDog-stand?highlight=turtledog

As I don't have any suitable trees at home I made a hammock stand a fair while back but it's a different design, much heavier, bulkier and less portable and I think it's time to upgrade. The Turtledog stand is a simple design but I'm having trouble finding something to use as the cross pole in Australia that can be broken down into sections. It seems in the US they can get chain link fence posts that are swaged so one end can fit into another post thereby extending the length. I can't seem to find these here so I'm wondering if anyone has made one and what you used or if anyone has any suggestions for something available locally? The timber tripod and other hardware is easy, it's just a cross post that can be broken down into sections I'm having trouble with. I could use a single length but that would be less portable so I'd really like to find a solution that can be broken down for transport.

Help me hang myself :_lol:

Cheers.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Have you tried a fencing supplier? I know they have swaged poles but I am not sure if they do a smaller size like what you are after.
Would a galvanised steel tent pole be strong enough, I know they have lots of sizes and shapes including swaged fittings.
Another option might be to see if somewhere like a muffler shop might be able to swage it for you, not sure if they can do smaller sizes they certainly have the gear though.

cheers

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've tried a couple of fencing suppliers (the first places I tried) and they didn't know what I was talking about so I assumed they weren't used/common here. Tent pole crossed my mind but I don't think it'd be strong enough but that was based on the assumption that all tent poles are aluminium now. If steel is still available it might work. Hadn't thought of the muffler shop though. That might be an option worth looking into.

EDIT: Now you've got me wondering if I can make the whole thing out of steel tent poles that break down small enough to fit in a duffle bag that be thrown into any car boot.

Last edited: