BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two strand cordage to rope?

120ThingsIn20Years

Russell Coight
Reaction score
After very, very, long delay (3 years), I finally had a decent attempt at making some natural cordage from the leaves of a palm I have in my yard...

IMAG0011.jpg IMAG0015.jpg

But now I find myself a little confused as to how to proceed.

The problem is I cant seem to make two lengths of the two strand twine stay twisted. I would have thought the same reverse twist method should have worked for the next level ie a 2 x 2 strand twine.

I've searched a lot, but cant find any methods that do it by hand, only methods that use three strands, use a rope walk, and the spindle thing.

Do I have to use three strands of my twine? I tried that but found it very confusing, and it still didn't stay twisted.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Are you twisting the two cords the opposite way as the first two strand cords were twisted? I think that's how it should be done, but that's from memory, I haven't tried it myself yet.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you twisting the two cords the opposite way as the first two strand cords were twisted? I think that's how it should be done, but that's from memory, I haven't tried it myself yet.

Yes, when twisting together 2 x two-strands to make a 4 ply rope, you need to twist the 2 strands opposite to the first twist.

One way to do this is to swap hands (its a bit un-co, but you its OK once youre in the rhythm)

120ThingsIn20Years

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I cut two lengths, then arrange them so that when I twist each one away from me, it's getting tighter ie I'm reinforcing the original twist, then lay it toward my body and over the other length of twine.

I think that's the only way I can do it, because if I twist it the other way it will undo the original strands.

I'll lable the ends a,b,c,d and try every combination and see what it really is that I'm doing as opposed to what I think I'm doing :)

120ThingsIn20Years

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I WAS twisting the wrong way.

I'd start the correct way then revert after a few inches without realizing. The result was not immediately obvious, because it used up some of the tension in previous twists before I noticed something was wrong.

I swapped hands and it was more difficult to do, but less tempting to revert to the other direction.

Success!

Awesome, thanks people!