UK Hammocks EDC Hammock

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The 'Every Day Carry' (EDC) hammock by UK Hammocks has become one of my favourite pieces of kit, and it permanently lives in my pack or cargo pocket when out bush. It was designed to meet the needs of a hammock chair and gear shelf by hammock campers, but will also support an overnight nap.

It has a YKK zip, and the suspension is Amsteel - just tie your own knot. I weigh 100kg, and it supports me easily. Dimensions are 2.1m x 1.2 m, and weight is approx 200 grams.

This isn't going to replace a proper expedition hammock by any means, but as a lightweight comfort item, with the addition of being an emergency shelter, I rate it highly.

It doesn't come in a pouch, but as I found it fits perfectly into a micro towel pouch.

I've posted a pic of it folded next to a beer can for size comparison, and hung in my backyard (spreader is just to show the dimensions). I've also thrown in a link to a youtube review on it (not mine).

Cost is 15 UK pounds, and about 7 pounds delivery from memory.

EDC1.jpgEDC2.jpg

[video=youtube;cJ_6pzimCN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_6pzimCN4[/video]

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Tas, not sure about the material but it's pretty soft - not like some of the 'noisy' nylon type of kit. I'll try and find out from the manufacturer for you.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I would also be careful hanging off 7/64 amsteel with a figure 8 knot as that knot has been shown to only retain 33% of the breaking strain of the rope. So from 730kg you are now down to 240kg - I would hang with caution, and make sure you have it hung at a 25-30% angle if you are going to do it, and don't bounce around too much.

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cheers Simon, I've modified mine with a set of carabiners that are always hanging off my pack, and a small set of webbing tree huggers. Totally agree about the figure 8 knot, my first test hang (without the other suspension mods) was very cautious, and I would aim for a modified bowline if I was using it sans huggers.