Ultralight Hiking?

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have recently chosen one of these mozzie dome tents from Mitchell’s online.
I threw the great big poles that came with it in the bin , and put poles from another dome tent in it, cut them to size with a hacksaw.

the weight of the tent is about 1.7 kg now without pegs ( it really only needs 4) , which I think is pretty decent ,simple set up and a good compromise for the amount of size and comfort to be able to sit up in .

I agree on the value of keeping the critters out for a good sleep. Can use without fly in good weather too.

A good find and mod. I've brought a few good things from Mitchell's. 1.7kg is very respectable for the roominess and weight of that tent and I think it qualifies as U.L. territory. I also like the versatility to use without fly in the heat too - essential here, IMO and you get a view of the stars if you don't use a tarp or the fly :D

Last edited:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just a quick update on my progress in going ultralight. I am now down to a base weight of 7kg, it was about 6kg but then had to add a couple of things back in.

First of all on went on a trip in November for a few days and my water filter failed on the first day, Sawyer Mini.

As such I have decided I like clean safe drinking water so much and do not like adding chemicals I have gone back to my Katadyn Pocket, yes it is heavy but it is also super reliable, I can try and save weight elsewhere.

Since my water filter failed I was boiling all my water, the backup sterilising tablets I usually have in my first aid kit I had accidentally left at home.

Boiling water I actually ran out of gas for my stove on the last night.

I have also decided to go back to using my multi fuel stove, can carry a lot more fuel for the weight compared to a gas stove, this is mostly only the case however if you would need to carry multiple gas canisters.

I like to cook fresh food as much as possible when I hike and the multi fuel stove allows me to do this as well as any gas stove.

I have found if I switch back to my ground setup and use a tarp instead of a tent I can get back down to about 6kg that way.

With food for 5 days and 2 litres of water I should be on about 13kg, which also leaves plenty of room to carry more water if needed.

Timbo

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Just a quick update on my progress in going ultralight. I am now down to a base weight of 7kg, it was about 6kg but then had to add a couple of things back in.

First of all on went on a trip in November for a few days and my water filter failed on the first day, Sawyer Mini.

As such I have decided I like clean safe drinking water so much and do not like adding chemicals I have gone back to my Katadyn Pocket, yes it is heavy but it is also super reliable, I can try and save weight elsewhere.

Since my water filter failed I was boiling all my water, the backup sterilising tablets I usually have in my first aid kit I had accidentally left at home.

I have also decided to go back to using my multi fuel stove, can carry a lot more fuel for the weight compared to a gas stove, this is mostly only the case however if you would need to carry multiple gas canisters.

I like to cook fresh food as much as possible when I hike and the multi fuel stove allows me to do this as well as any gas stove.

I have found if I switch back to my ground setup and use a tarp instead of a tent I can get back down to about 6kg that way.

With food for 5 days and 2 litres of water I should be on about 13kg, which also leaves plenty of room to carry more water if needed.
Good stuff. I was about to get a Sawyer mini but I'm now thinking twice. What happened for it to fail?

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Good stuff. I was about to get a Sawyer mini but I'm now thinking twice. What happened for it to fail?
Brand new, water simply would not go through there filter at more than a drip. I thought maybe I was not squeezing hard enough until the squeeze bag exploded. Having researched a bit more it seems this is not unusual and most people simply keep purchasing a new one. To me this is a waste and I would rather have something I can rely on to work.
The Katadyn Pocket is expensive and heavy but be completely field stripped and re assembled, the pumping mechanism is very simple as well. When they block up it is simply a matter of pulling the cartridge out and scrubbing it clean.

Timbo

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Brand new, water simply would not go through there filter at more than a drip. I thought maybe I was not squeezing hard enough until the squeeze bag exploded. Having researched a bit more it seems this is not unusual and most people simply keep purchasing a new one. To me this is a waste and I would rather have something I can rely on to work.
The Katadyn Pocket is expensive and heavy but be completely field stripped and re assembled, the pumping mechanism is very simple as well. When they block up it is simply a matter of pulling the cartridge out and scrubbing it clean.
Thanks, makes sense, the size vs output flow always sounded to good.

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Sheesh , just bought one of these sawyer minis last week . At the claimed 100,000 gallons , thought it should last forever .

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

Sorry to hear, but thanks for the post. Like Timbo, I was just about to buy one of these. However, personally, I'm still not convinced about filtered water unless its necessary, however. In 82' I nearly died from drinking bad water. It's something you NEVER forget.

Last edited:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have had a Giardia infection before it was not fun, ended up in hospital.

In the past I would have been more than happy to drink water untreated, then you happen to look in the water tank and find out there was a dead rat or possum in it and it ruins your day.