BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

underground water.. SAFE TO DRINK?

ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Near the permanent camp that I'm building, I found a really wet spot on the ground, I tried to dig and I found plenty of water that also has a consistent flow! The water is really cold and cristal clear...
Do u guys think that it would be safe to drink? or it's still better to boil or filter it? Above this spring there is no house or any possible human contamination but only a mountain.

In this video u can see really well what I'm talking about :

Thank u so much for your Answers!

ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I found old roof tiles (like the ones in the picture) when I was digging forming, some kind of old canal starting from the point where the water is caming out of the mountain, so I'm guessing someone was using this water already in the past.
c9TppOQnhhESQWAwhF84e_L_xXt_rHn--gXG09LSbMClle52pZUzfRu3m_bqBxN-wCylu1Wie115Rvz74X_egOhQomwg1MPYN-Ag-Z_8LA

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I thought they were OK. I've found places like that in the past - led there by animal tracks. Soil is often used as a medium for filtering. Have I been playing russian roulette? :oops:

I think it really depends, there are some very unpleasant bacteria and parasites that in a survival situation could give you d+v causing you to lose more fluid. I have drunk out of streams high in Welsh mountains and not had problems. I've had Giardia in Metro Perth(source unknown), but I really think that the safest default is to assume all water is contaminated and boiling is the best way of dealing with most nasties. Clearly it won't deal with non-organic contaminants.
Condie's, UV light, filtering will all work to a certain extent, but a rolling boil for 5 mins is,for me, the best.