Vac Packer/Food savers. How do you use yours?

Lightswitch

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I just bought a vacuum packed to use for preparing and storing food for camping. So far I've packed a few kilos of pulled pork to freeze for Easter also some coffee beans and a snake bite kit.

What other ideas do you have for using one? I was thinking of using it for repacking canned goods to save weight.

Does anyone have any idea how long repacked already sealed products would last? I was thinking canned soup (frozen first), beans...

My other idea was DIY MREs. What ideas have you got for the contents?

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I've used mine to vacuum pack spare wheel bearings. Doing that allowed me to pack the bearings with grease so that they were ready to use if needed without the grease distributing itself throughout my toolbox. Not quite where you're going with this thread I know, but I also think it doesn't hurt to think of all possibilities.

A vacuum sealer doesn't have to be used with the vacuum. I estimate that about half of my usage is just to heat seal a plastic bag. The plastic for a vacuum sealer is a heavier gauge than that used in Zip lock and similar bags. I use this method to make small condiment satchels for my home made ration packs. The off cuts from vacuum sealing largish items provide most of the plastic that I use for these satchels. I also heat seal my spare map and route chart in plastic rather than trusting both to just a zip lock bag.

I can't help you with how long repacked foodstuffs might last. The type of food, how it has been prepared e.g. cooked or raw and whether or not you place an oxygen absorber in the bag all need to be factored in.

Cheers,

b.

Lightswitch

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I've used mine to vacuum pack spare wheel bearings. Doing that allowed me to pack the bearings with grease so that they were ready to use if needed without the grease distributing itself throughout my toolbox. Not quite where you're going with this thread I know, but I also think it doesn't hurt to think of all possibilities.

A vacuum sealer doesn't have to be used with the vacuum. I estimate that about half of my usage is just to heat seal a plastic bag. The plastic for a vacuum sealer is a heavier gauge than that used in Zip lock and similar bags. I use this method to make small condiment satchels for my home made ration packs. The off cuts from vacuum sealing largish items provide most of the plastic that I use for these satchels. I also heat seal my spare map and route chart in plastic rather than trusting both to just a zip lock bag.

I can't help you with how long repacked foodstuffs might last. The type of food, how it has been prepared e.g. cooked or raw and whether or not you place an oxygen absorber in the bag all need to be factored in.

Cheers,

b.
Thanks Biggles.

The using the offcuts for small packages has just sliced a problem for me.

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I use mine a lot, find it really handy for breaking down bulk foods (meats, large blocks of cheese, bags of rice..etc) Meats last a lot longer when vacced and stored in the fridge, use this a lot when i go camping or if i break down a deer in the field and aren't returning home for a couple of days

Also used it for making up some ration packs for my 3 day bags, bagging up brew kits, medical stuff and toilet paper

Not sure how you'd go repacking soups and alike but i've used it baked beans in the past...worked but not that well (hard with liquids) and i wasn't planning on storing them long term (was just portioned up for the kids while hiking)

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have one and use it for all the food I take in the field have a look at this film I made ref that.

[video=youtube;G7lpQy_7wTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7lpQy_7wTc&index=18&list=PLJa6ikeDVZHwhYK9HL_2u4dHzg3q7_p3K[/video]
[video=youtube;0SQsinZU-fw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SQsinZU-fw&index=17&list=PLJa6ikeDVZHwhYK9HL_2u4dHzg3q7_p3K[/video]
[video=youtube;wT--hQaN_jg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT--hQaN_jg&index=16&list=PLJa6ikeDVZHwhYK9HL_2u4dHzg3q7_p3K[/video]

Lightswitch

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks Swampy. I had to go hunting for the outcome of the 10 day test, that was very useful, and you are very correct, Crocs and Socks??

Aussie123, I like the idea of making little squeeze bag/triangles. The biggest thing I took from your tip is folding down the lip!! That was a face palm moment!

Cheers guys.

Anyone else got any ideas?

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Here's another use that I'd forgotten about. Decanting large quantities of food for use at home. The cereal I eat (warm weather) when I'm out bush was on special today in the super, ginormous size carton. In the past I wouldn't have bought it because about half would go stale before I would eat it. Now however, when I do open it, I'll divide the contents into four. I'll vacuum seal three, one-quarter carton amounts to use throughout the remainder of this year and the fourth will go into the Tupperware cereal dispenser and some of that I'll be taking away with me next week and a fortnight after that.
It's another way that small savings can be made, reduces food wastage, which is something I cannot abide and having what I need to hand in my pantry is very convenient.