BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What animal made this?

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Hi guys
Up the back paddocks today and noticed a mound and some tracks. Being sand it's not easy to identify what made this home. I am assuming a fox or maybe a rabbit.
No visible scat nearby apart from kangaroo. I have noticed some dog type scat recently around the property and talk of a few neighbors ducks being killed by a fox.
Any input is appreciated.

The beer is for scale ��
44137f13558b0837b92a6a1f90b78119.jpg
25fa85996f9affd3625ce41afae521f2.jpg

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know;
but the size and the scratches at about 11 o'clock from your stubby (in pic 2) look more like a wombat than a rabbit

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Thanks Aussie. I'm in Perth if that helps anyone.
I'll try set up a camera to capture it

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That is the den of the WA lesser spotted beer drinking Yowie.

Honest.

Attach a small magnet to a pole and when the footie is on, slide the pole carefully into the den. You may find th classic bottle cap shaped scat attached to the magnet after removing.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That is the den of the WA lesser spotted beer drinking Yowie.

Honest.

Attach a small magnet to a pole and when the footie is on, slide the pole carefully into the den. You may find th classic bottle cap shaped scat attached to the magnet after removing.

:_risata:

Scats .... bottle caps.jpg

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Aussie, you have access to some good textbooks:_risata:

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
so an update, i was up the back following a bee swarm and startled a rather large fox (10m away). i accidentally got it on video and it got the hell out of dodge really quickly.
so now i am assuming the hole is a fox den, and will chat with the local ranger. i dont have a rifle so dont want to trap it without a quick way of dispatching it.
ill update you if i get any progress :)