BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what are you allowed to do on rural land without a building permit?

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
** not sure if this is the right area of the forum, feel free to move thread if not **

Hi all
there are quite a few largish pieces of land for sale online, most seem to be not able to build a house on.
Have read several places it requires 200 acres before you are allowed to build a "dwelling" which I believe means house/cabin.

Often it says you are allowed to camp or have a shed.
What does that mean, are you able to build a shed with a kitchen and septic toilet and "camp" in the shed?
As long as you do not move there permanently?
Or does it mean no toilet system, no internal fitout for staying there, only allowed to camp as in stay in a tent etc.

there are things like this one: http://www.australianrural.com.au/property-listing/47-acres-only-59-950-the-best-kept-secret-hobby
or another one from same vendor, 40 acres of land for under $50,000.

Would you be allowed to build a shed for staying in for a weeks at a time? Would you be allowed to build a green house or farm something or other, or are all things like that regulated and requires licenses etc as soon as you are not in your own back yard?

My apologies if these are basic questions.
I have tried googling it but seem to find more posts about how large land has to be before you are allowed to build a dwelling, what it takes to have more than one house on a (massive) piece of land etc.

thanks
Bjorn

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
That is odd needing 200+ acres to build a dwelling. Unless the land has protection rights on it like no land clearing allowed or no suitable build sites (unlikely).
Rural shed to me means not a live in type (kitchen, bathroom , fire place and beds) States do have their own silly laws as do councils

Last edited:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

As you mentioned the use of dwelling entitlements limits the breakup of land so as to not affect the use of the area and protect farming land and primary industry in rural areas.

Based on my simple understanding, if the land does not have dwelling entitlement then you are permitted to occupy it for a total of 60 days per year as a campsite for recreational purposes. I.e camping, hunting, fishing, BushcraftOz meets etc. :p You can build a shed of up to.... I think 200sqm for as auscraft said... the purposes of agriculture only, ie not habitable. But i mean if its just a blank shed with a dirt floor and some hay and you happen to roll your swag out in it rather than pitch a tent, whats the harm? This is where it gets a bit silly and gray. Your best bet is to contact the vendor and also the local council to receive advice on the specifics of that property. It is possible to apply to council for permission to construct a dwelling but it usually requires a level of justification. My understanding is they tend to me more relaxed about it depending on the productivity and quality of the land also.

If your just after a simple shed, no power and a very basic structure you might/should be able to get permission to build something simple and non permanent. The big issue is it being a permanent structure. If its small something you could knock down in a day with no effect on the land you might be able to get permission. Then again people do this claiming they are going to build a house and end up living in the shed permanently. They are some amazing shed homes around! Ive been to one here that is nicer than my new place!

Again best to just ring the council and give them the property address.

Last edited:

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I find it baffling that you can't build a residence on 40 acres. I am also looking at land options for next year so thanks for the info guys :)

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can but it depends on the zoning for that area. For example out at the property where we had the meet the land is classed as rural residential which means the minimum land size per block is 25 acres. In other areas its larger. Again this doesn't mean you cant receive permission to build.

Most 'bush blocks' are cheap for this reason. Generally they are poor farming country and do not have permission for dwelling occupancy.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
also look at what water is available even ask bordering properties about bore depths and quality also ask about any regulations/usage cost regarding bores and types. This is vital if looking at a undeveloped land , if dams are built look at placement in relation to where you want to build/plant. And as for a question by OP about what can be built without permit ask local council each are different , our old council allowed any build not within 200m of any boundary fence free of permit other than dwellings new council all permits over a certain size builds. Another thing to ask is land clearing are you free or need permits

remember I am a Queenslander so not all laws here are same as NSW but these are some of the things I had to address purchasing land

Last edited: