BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do today?

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Bit of bush shopping today .
Davidsons plum , bumpy bush lemon and kauri pine sap for fire lighting07DDA699-9421-47DE-B3AF-57DDDCB0AFE0.jpegthe flammable kauri pine sap is good for far north Qld wet forest fire lighting .smells really nice burning too. The bumpy bush lemon is nice squeezed in water for a refreshing drink .1154C3F7-73C9-44F6-A699-E33E1A384119.jpeg

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
The Maritime Museum were running sailing tours/demonstrations of a repro 1600's Dutch ship.

We got chatting to the crew, who demonstrated the different splicing techniques and whippings for the end of the ropes.

Two had made their own sheaths for sheepsfoot knives and marlin spikes.

They had turkshead keepers on the belt ends which reminded me of member asemery's work too.

They talked about how hemp rope and flax sails are becoming rarer, but that the natural materials seem to cope better with UV exposure.

20220219_172904.jpg
20220219_184233.jpg

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
C11603EA-A720-4527-AAC7-2AC85C155CD3.jpegWet day, Made a couple solar food driers . Found 2 cupboard draws with plywood bottoms and a couple thick bits of glass that fitted on the tops .

Drilled a few holes along the top cupboard sides to let the moist air out and give airflow then backed them with shadecloth/ flyscreen to keep the flies and bugs out . Bent some wire up for drying racks . Will see what its like drying jerky also .
Could possibly convert 1 into a solar oven at a later date too if needed by tinfoil , corking the holes and painting the inner black .

Yamaotoko

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Cleaning up and burning off here, just pulled a nice sweet damper out of the dutch oven for lunch-desert with my wife and middle kid who is home with Covid (although you wouldn't know it, he's full of beans and been lugging logs with me all day!).

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Got a week off from work so flat out painting/cleaning in preparation for our wedding on Friday and listing the house for sale soon after.
Escape plan is getting closer to fruition. 😀
We’ve starting sorting through the multitudes of junk we don’t need. Not looking forward to really getting stuck into it. Years of working on house, landcruiser, camper and building my own stereos have accumulated more junk than I know what to do with.
And 3 kids. 🤔

Time to seriously simplify my life.

Yamaotoko

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Got a week off from work so flat out painting/cleaning in preparation for our wedding on Friday and listing the house for sale soon after.
Escape plan is getting closer to fruition. 😀
We’ve starting sorting through the multitudes of junk we don’t need. Not looking forward to really getting stuck into it. Years of working on house, landcruiser, camper and building my own stereos have accumulated more junk than I know what to do with.
And 3 kids. 🤔

Time to seriously simplify my life.
Sounds like you and I have a lot in common 🤣