BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What knife are you carrying today?

pteron

Russell Coight
Reaction score
This is almost always in my pocket - it's called the PITS after the maker's forum handle, Pie In The Sky. Titanium handle and a unique spring arrangement that Spyderco licenced for the SPITS. It's non-locking and under 3" which makes it EDC legal here in the UK.

IMG_8325.jpeg

Kindliing

Ray Mears
Reaction score
070E4093-54EA-4AFC-94B1-AD4786D9C3CC.jpegMartindale machete, superb at cutting lantana , jungle vines , clearing and sweeping a spot to camp , digging a level spot for the cooker and also for swatting marsh flies .

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Finally got around to modifying my opinel no.9 to open one handed. Attacked it with the dremel till I took out just enough to comfortably get my chunky thumb in.
Didn’t want to remove too much as I do like the shape
In the process of removing the locking collar I managed to fire it across the shed and haven’t seen it since. Shed clean up next weekend. DEB83F36-11A9-48F6-B12C-788AB2FAA27C.jpeg
65B4A21A-43B6-4933-B1B4-B5A0FFF764A8.jpeg

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Steel will kobold. I normally carry a knife clipped into my belt. I've been enjoying pocket carry, as they are designed, in shorts while bushwalking. So I'm using smaller knives. This one has a 1.75 inch blade - I have a few small knives; they are often all I need.

kobold.jpg

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
In the process of removing the locking collar I managed to fire it across the shed and haven’t seen it since. Shed clean up next weekend.
A bit of motivation for the cleanup :D

Last edited:

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Found the collar by accident making a bigger mess of my shed. It had rolled under some junk on one of the shelves.
Really liking the opinel. It’s not super fast to open or close but it’s easily done one handed. I try not to be in a hurry so it’s perfect for me.
And I still haven’t cleaned the shed up. 🤔

8BEC1E71-89B7-4A6B-97A8-F680CCDB752F.jpeg

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The cjrb ria. It's a thin light slicer, nicely made. The thin blade stock puts it in the gentleman carry category. I've been gravitating to these sorts of knives that are good slicers. I normally carry harder use knives around home or bushwalking, but I need the practice on opening this. It's like taking off in a race car (geared high, clutch is either on or off). No slow rolling with this one - it snaps open like an auto or doesn't open at all. I enjoy the new skill though - it's like learning to use chopsticks.

cjrb ria.jpg

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Ganzo FH11. d2 blade, carbon fiber scales, cheap, heavy, big, tough. Big is subjective of course. It's less than 3.5" blade - I tend to like 1.5 - 3". I use these heavier bigger knives around home or the block. Probably the most use it gets is cutting grass around the base of small trees and shrubs. I've had it for about 3 years now and still haven't sharpened it - just stropping with green compound. Some of these have been tested to show a good heat treat - maybe mine is reasonable too. I have a few knives though so the work is spread out amongst them. I try not to sharpen till I have too - there's usually a lot of work involved making edges uniform angle. One thing I've discovered is that with a vigorous short sharp push downwards, with the back of the blade facing the ground, I can swing it open. The blade is heavy and the liner lock is fairly thin stock, so the detent isn't that strong. I don't see this as a safety issue - the best way to open is still via the flipper. Apparently there is a genII now.

ganzo fh11.jpg

Last edited:

old4570

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

I used to carry ( When Legal to do so ) a Joseph Rodgers STUD ..

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score

I used to carry ( When Legal to do so ) a Joseph Rodgers STUD ..
Yeah, stockman knives were another one of Dad's carries. Spey blades were as common as bottle openers on fisherman's knives :D. If bulls and rams knew what most dudes had in their pockets they would have been better behaved :oops:

old4570

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Kizer.jpg

My Fidget knife for today ( Came Today ) , ordered over a month ago .. ( Spent 31 Days with Oz Post )
So I will fidget till my thumb is sore ..

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
View attachment 28775

My Fidget knife for today ( Came Today ) , ordered over a month ago .. ( Spent 31 Days with Oz Post )
So I will fidget till my thumb is sore ..
Nice combination of beefy point and hollow grind for the rest of the blade - strength and sharpness where it is needed. It looks like a great all round design.

old4570

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Nice combination of beefy point and hollow grind for the rest of the blade - strength and sharpness where it is needed. It looks like a great all round design.
Yes ,,, When I saw it , I just had to have it .
Another knife that certain youtube reviewers are crowing about !
Is all that screeching righteous ?

Certainly is a nice fidget knife , not the best ! But nice .
Weight is ok , but could have been lighter .
If the knife has some edge holding ? Then it might be well worth the $85 Ozzi Bananas !
If not (?) . then it would be an expensive fidget knife .

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
We're on an mtb holiday again. I have a selection of knives for various reasons. A boker sanyougo for the kitchen. We're renting a house for accommodation. Wherever we stay they only ever have cheap blunt knives - so we bring our own sharp knife for the kitchen. The sanyougo is small and tall (84mm blade.), great for slicing and keeping your hand clear of the board, and it comes with a good sheath. It's a cross between an ulu and a santuko; a joy to use.

sanyougo.jpg
sanyougo sheath.jpg

While out on the bike, the cold steel tuff lite mini. It's my standard go to for MTB and bushwalking. Crazy sharp hollow grind that is very good for shaving around wounds before applying a dressing. Also used fairly regularly cutting or trimming zip ties, making impromptu brushes - usually from an invasive species of bush or tall weed that grows most places where there has been human activity. This knife is usually clipped into the waistband of my shorts - it never interferes with movement and I never feel it there - it's tiny and light, impervious to sweat and rain, and it is built tough, although the blade edge is really quite delicate.

cs tuff lite mini.jpg

In my bush edc kit, a sak handyman. This has wood saw, metal saw and file, tiny pliers, scissors and many other things. Great for manufacturing and mending - I use this a fair bit. The beauty of it is if you need a special tool you can usually adapt something from the sak to do it. Many sak users are great at thinking outside the box.

sak handyman.jpg

Not a knife, but kind of related to the sak above; the smallest pair of knipex pliers. The sak pliers are light use - they're good for getting bigger splinters and picking tiny stones and sand out of wounds. For real plier work I carry the knipex in my bush and urban edc kits. The knipex cobra xs; 100mm long, 62g, can work on nuts up to 24mm! Very well made, minimal weight and space, incredibly versatile for their size, and strong.

knipex cobra 100mm.jpg

Last edited: