BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

What knife are you interested in ?

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yeah , for some reason I need another knife ( need ? , a rather strong word for some one with a few knives )

Butt , ........
I was wondering what knives people were interested in , you know ! What do you want to buy or find out something more aside from blatant advertising .
Dollar limit around 100 Bananas ..

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Yeah , for some reason I need another knife ( need ? , a rather strong word for some one with a few knives )

Butt , ........
I was wondering what knives people were interested in , you know ! What do you want to buy or find out something more aside from blatant advertising .
Dollar limit around 100 Bananas ..
Butcher knives serve my needs. What does a Bushcrafter need a knife for? Whittling perhaps, preparing & eating a meal. Some Bushcrafters may hunt & trap in which case like myself they will need a decent butcher knife. I carry three knives, my hunting knife, my legging knife & a clasp knife. The legging knife is a back-up to the hunting knife when skinning & butchering, the clasp knife I use for camp chores such as whittling a kettle hook or skewers for roasting meat.
Keith.
hunting knife 001.JPG
My hunting knife.
Legging Knife 2 REDUCED.jpg
My Legging knife.
Clasp Knife 2.JPG
My clasp knife.

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yeah , 1800 / 1700 s a lot of people went afield with kitchen knives ..
Dedicated hunting knives were probably expensive and hard to find in comparison .

Though things are different now ... FeeBay is awash with field serviceable knives ...

Cold Steel SRK-C or SRK / Condor Terrasaur / BeaverCraft / Joker / Cudeman / Brisa Hiker / Real Steel / Puma Tec / Gerber /

Puma Tec ............. ? Budget Puma knives ?

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Probably the kizer lieb. It's small and plain and cheap but knife people really rate it. I seem to carry small knives most of the time. It should be a slicey blade - thin stock and full flat grind.

kizer lieb.jpg

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Rough rider seahorse whittler. Depending on who you ask they're better than the case seahorse.

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I thought RR were mostly SS of some sort .. Unless they specify otherwise ( T10 Carbon for instance )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Blade Steel: 440A Stainless Steel unless specified different .... From what I can see .
I think they do VG10 , T10 Carbon , and stainless steel of some sort . ( 440A from many I looked at )
This would be , current production I guess . I only spend a few minutes looking .

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Classic carbon. Everywhere I've seen it available they say it's carbon steel. Where are you looking? I'm curious, we might be talking about different things.

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I was looking at RR in general ..
RR makes many knives ... And uses various steels .
The most common / generic is SS ...
Then you have your Classic Carbon series
And then you have knives in VG10 ...
& ? Maybe they do some in CrMov ?
I have a few RR knives ( reviews posted )
Classic Carbon Test

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I tried !
To get feedback on what folks might be interested in or be looking at ..
Anyways , I decided to go with what I have been looking at for a long time .

Hiker.jpg
The Hiker 95 ..
From Nordic Edge because they be the cheapest .. $89 Oz bananas with free shipping ..
Thats like the best deal I could find ..
I went with the flat grind cos it looks to have a Spine .. I like knives that can be some what bushcrafty if not fully so .
Looks like my last knife for 2022 .. ( Looks Like )
Eeeaaargh ! ( Maybe )
I guess I might be a little bit knifeaholic ! So might be a little like saying my last drink for 2022 ................. ( hmmmmm )

Last edited:

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It's here ........ Posty Man put it in the letter box some 15 minutes ago !