What meds are in your FAK?

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Great question for discussion and some good points above. Although not a "medication" I would suggest a permanent marker go into your med kit. Handy for a range of things but I think it might be useful in the event that you need to write on a person or yourself about what injuries/bites have been sustained and treatments received. Think about a snake bite when out on your own. Write down type of snake, date and time, known allergies etc in case you are found unresponsive.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Well Im back for a little while. If you are going to put meds in your IFAK then you can use the normal over the counter meds from a chemist that will deal with pain, allergic reactions, diarrhoea and vomiting etc.
If you have prescribed med from your GP then you need to carry enough to cover you for the duration you are out and up to 72hrs post trip incase of an unexpected extra time in the field.
DO NOT share other peoples proscribed drugs. You can use any OTC drugs that others may have if you run out.
If some meds are liquid remember that they may be affected by extremes of temp.
Dry drugs (tablets) can be used after the expiry date but it is better to keep on top of dates. I have used pain killers (paracetamol) that was 2 years post ED and they worked fine.
In 18 years as a paramedic I have never heard that Codeine can speed up bleeding but if the post author could site the evidence on that it would be interesting and I'm always up for learning.

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen used together can give the same pain relief as an opioid drug.

Thank you.

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I have heard people say that about taking asprin to thin the blood .

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have heard people say that about taking asprin to thin the blood .
yes this is true and is why many with cardiac conditions take a regular Aspirin daily.
But with a first aid kit that we would use in the field the main meds are to deal with pain. This is because we will sustain a traumatic injury more than a medical one that needs different drugs. The most common medical issue would be gastro from ingesting food that has not been cooked well or cooked in less than sanitary conditions or due to a lack of good hygiene.