What's your Pack?

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Well, soon my mid size pack will be a A German Canvas Mountain Pack.
http://www.bushcraftozstore.com.au/products/german-canvas-mountain-pack
I have the Wanderer Haversack which I'll mod an attachment for, much like others have done.

I kept looking at the Mountain Designs Escape but finally decided it had too many small pockets that I find hard to organise everything into.

peterh13

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi.
Im new to the forum. I have a 70 Litre Deuter which I first used on Kokoda and then later on in New Zealand while walking The Milford Sound track. I found it extremely comfortable and water proof and plenty big enough for all my gear.

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Day Pack - Satchel format. Pattern 37 haversack slung - water bottle and a minimi pouch on belt.

Overnighter - Either Platatac SPUR MSM or a medium ALICE

Multi-day (ultralight) - 50lt Asolo UL pack

Multi-day (normal) #1 - Teton Sports Explorer 4000 (about 65 litres) -a true dark horse this one. Fully featured, rugged and very cheap (sub-A$100). I've used it for about 3 years.

Multi-day (normal) #2 - Karrimor SF Sabre 75 (you guessed it - 75 litres) - too heavy, but bombproof - still breaking it in. It's second multi-day outing will be this weekend.

Multi-day (traditional) - Military Pattern 42 bergan - steel A-frame, canvas body and leather and webbing suspension - surprisingly comfortable under load. Based on the old mountaineering packs of the 1920s and 30s. It reminds me of a Swedish M39 rucksack with external pockets added. It passes for one of the Paddymade (Paddy Pallin) A-frame rucksacks popular from the 1930s to the 1960s.

trailrider74

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score

My first real hiking pack, a Berghaus Jaguar GR 65. Still going strong.

Probably my favourite overnighter - very light and well designed Berghaus Phantom37. No frame, so it's more suited to UL hiking.

An Osprey Atmos 55L that has served me well, but somewhat limited in the weight it can carry. And too many pockets for my liking.

My latest pack, an Exped Lighting 45L pack - I love this pack - very simple design and despite being only 1.1kg is rated to carry 25kg.

These are all hiking oriented packs, so it'll be interesting to see if I gravitate towards bushcraft/canvas packs as I dabble in more bushcraft and collect more bushcraft gear. I'm somewhat influenced by UL and lightweight philosophy so I'm sure it'll be a challenge to balance out bushcraft gear and pack weights :)

trailrider74

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Yes indeed.

That 45kg Exped is cool. I'll be interested in your thoughts on it.
It's a little lighter than 45 kg ;)

Joking aside, it's a great pack. They are well constructed and very simple in design, with one main internal compartment a small pocket that you can access from the outside, plus two side pockets and two hip belt pockets made from stretchy material. I wouldn't like anymore complexity than that, but the pack straps can also accommodate walking poles or ice axes, maybe a bushcraft axe. I really like the roll top closure, and the harness is quickly and easily adjustable.

My two main issues with the Exped are the strut in the back - it can stick into you if it's not properly adjusted because it's curved to fit the natural arch of the lower back and shoulders. So you need to ensure you get the harness adjustment right, but after a few walks it's all good. The other minor issue is that the hydration hose port is actually in the internal pocket wall and the hose exits via the pocket zipper. I think this could be a little neater - the port could be separate to the pocket. The zipper is water resistant, as is the pack material, so presumably Exped have done this to minimise water ingress via an external port. I've not yet hiked in decent rain with the pack, so can't comment on water repellency, but I will continue to use a pack liner anyway. Better safe than soaking wet and miserable.

It's pretty comfy once you get the harness set up right and reaching the external pockets is easy. I like the narrow profile for off track walking and weight distribution, and as I mentioned in my first post, it's light at 1.1kg but the harness is designed for loads up to around 25kg, so the pack could be quite versatile. I usually hike with no more than 15 kg and it's really comfy at that weight. The roll top closure and external straps mean with some ingenuity I could probably carry 6-8 days of food and winter gear if I had to, by strapping some stuff to the pack, or even using a pack liner and leaving the roll top open to extend the capacity of the pack. But I find 45L pretty good for most of my walking, and I have larger packs if needed. I did actually try the 65L version too. It would make a great pack for extended bush trips.

It's still pretty new and I need to do more walks with it, but this pack is very promising and I would recommend checking them out if you like Exped stuff.

Last edited:

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
It's a little lighter than 45 kg ;)

Joking aside, it's a great pack. They are well constructed and very simple in design, with one main internal compartment a small pocket that you can access from the outside, plus two side pockets and two hip belt pockets made from stretchy material. I wouldn't like anymore complexity than that, but the pack straps can also accommodate walking poles or ice axes, maybe a bushcraft axe. I really like the roll top closure, and the harness is quickly and easily adjustable.

My two main issues with the Exped are the strut in the back - it can stick into you if it's not properly adjusted because it's curved to fit the natural arch of the lower back and shoulders. So you need to ensure you get the harness adjustment right, but after a few walks it's all good. The other minor issue is that the hydration hose port is actually in the internal pocket wall and the hose exits via the pocket zipper. I think this could be a little neater - the port could be separate to the pocket. The zipper is water resistant, as is the pack material, so presumably Exped have done this to minimise water ingress via an external port. I've not yet hiked in decent rain with the pack, so can't comment on water repellency, but I will continue to use a pack liner anyway. Better safe than soaking wet and miserable.

It's pretty comfy once you get the harness set up right and reaching the external pockets is easy. I like the narrow profile for off track walking and weight distribution, and as I mentioned in my first post, it's light at 1.1kg but the harness is designed for loads up to around 25kg, so the pack could be quite versatile. I usually hike with no more than 15 kg and it's really comfy at that weight. The roll top closure and external straps mean with some ingenuity I could probably carry 6-8 days of food and winter gear if I had to, by strapping some stuff to the pack, or even using a pack liner and leaving the roll top open to extend the capacity of the pack. But I find 45L pretty good for most of my walking, and I have larger packs if needed. I did actually try the 65L version too. It would make a great pack for extended bush trips.

It's still pretty new and I need to do more walks with it, but this pack is very promising and I would recommend checking them out if you like Exped stuff.
Haha 45kg... it's been a long week/end

Nice. I might pick one up and see how I like it. It sounds like it might be a contender for my next UL pack.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321387971599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

This pack arrived today, I'm a bit disappointed in that at 1.6kg it's around a kilo heavier than I imagined and was lead to believe by ads showing identical packs. If you take off all the removable pockets the stated weight is closer to the mark.

I was hoping for a straight forward 600 denier nylon pack but in some ways it's over-made with heavy waterproofing and loose lining [ like in a suit jacket]. In other ways it's under made, ...could use some double stitching in some areas.

That said, it will do me for the intended use as a bushcraft specific day pack. I like the side pouches in particular.

Anyway, this is just a quick review for cityboy and Tomuda. [ when I'm feeling up to it I'll do some photos and more.. I'm not well ATM].

rlgriffo

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
The Gregory Baltoro 65 for my wife.

The Gregory Baltoro 75 for myself.

Very happy with both.

dero

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi Philfy , how do you like the halftrack ?
I have a gunslinger2 & love it , you can pack it small or add on to make it as big as you like & it carries well even if I carry more weight than I am comfortable with ,[ just have to stop more often ]
I am thinking of getting a halftrack for my daughter , the G2 can be stapped down to airline carry on size , can you do that with the halftrack ?

hellfish

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I put together a bushcraft pack for weekenders, I went with the Maxpedition Condor 2, it's a good sturdy pack with heaps of molle for extra pouches and whatever else you would like to hang off it, overall I'm pretty happy with it, still refining the gear I'm carrying what works what doesn't but I'll get there.

Tezza

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My EDC for the last 10 years Black Wolf Cambridge 35lt

The Black Wolf has many uses in this house including a cat bed for the Black Cat lol

and something "used" I just picked up recently Black Wolf Can Cun 70lt, this has a detchable day pack on the front which is very handy if the cat is sleeping on my other pack :)

I really like these Black Wolf packs, Aussie Owned, Aussie Made, Cordura, they don't rip, they don't get hung up on foliage, plenty of pockets to separate gear.
I bought the Cambridge one after years of going through cheap packs that never lasted on my fishing hikes to remote places, so I finally spent my money and bought a great product that's still going strong 10 years later, only problem I have had was a cord zipper pull broke, big deal, money well spent :D
I'm a fan of the Cambridge as well mate, been using one as my work bag for the last couple of years. Didn't know they were Aussie owned and made though, never really gave that much thought, but I'm even happier with it now knowing that. Cheers.

Qually

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have seen this maxpedition stuff on youtube vids from yank guys reviews. I had no idea how much it costs. Everyone seems to like the build quality so I suppose that it is worth it but pretty much some of the most expensive packs that I have seen. Does anyone know of a brand that does similar stuff for less. I know, I'm a cheap bugger:;):