BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your Pack?

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That article Corin found was spot on. Alice packs were a million times better than the standard issue pack but still not great.

I've got a Macpac Cascade 75L & while I havn't taken it for a good stomp yet it's pretty damn comfy as it can be adjusted to move weight from shoulders to hips while on your back. But I really like having pockets on the outside like the newer Alice packs- long pockets down the sides, 2 or 3 (or 6) pockets around the front for high use kit without entering the main compartment. I don't like the idea of having everything in one main compartment since you need to rumage around looking for stuff regardless of how well you pack & organise. More pockets means better organisation & access. Some have said the side compartments get caught up when bush bashing but if it couldn't be avoided how do troops negotiate scrub & jungle silently in a tactical scenario when practically all of them use large round Alice packs with long pockets on the side?

Despite the Macpac being 75L I'm still learning how to pack it properly/efficiantly.

These are just my thoughts on the matter founded only on my experience. Not ragging out on anyone either

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Some have said the side compartments get caught up when bush bashing but if it couldn't be avoided how do troops negotiate scrub & jungle silently in a tactical scenario when practically all of them use large round Alice packs with long pockets on the side?

Quite easily... it just takes practice and planned movements... and good mates to help you out sometimes... silent movement comes down to the "One Minute of Movement", basically...
Scan, shift weight, move foot, test ground, ease vegetation around yourself, place foot, shift weight onto new foot, scan.... etc. that whole movement takes exactly one minute to perform, in the jungle you may average about 300m per day movement, on a really good day, when doing silent routine as practiced by Recon elements... believe me you are knackered by the end of the day...

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That's my point Templar, it can be done with enough care from the wearer

Rusty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Maxpedition Condor 2 in ACU camo.

dont get me wrong i love this pack and it built like a brick s*@t house, but i want a US Alice pack

If anyone has an alice pace they dont want id be willing to trade

climbndrive

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I seem to be the Amelda marcos of packs,I have a one planet Tasman 90ltr exp to 110 for longer treks,an Aiking Mistress for mountaineering and climbing(a rare ripstop nylon prortotype) nice and light with a cross chest support to hug your body for no swing,also have a Aiking 70ltr,a blackburn 6 litre hydration meshback for adventure racing,3 Macpac pods or bumbags one as a Bob one for first aid, one for shelter and snugpack,these have a Molle style fitting ability aswell,and a few drybags for wet stuff,with a few more smaller daypacks, I think i may have issues,might see a therapist and start thinning it down.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I love ALICE, she is the queen of the bush.
Sorry all, I don't got $1m sitting around to buy top line gear.
Might change my mind then.
I have taken my ALICE medium on numerous day hikes with all the family's raincoats, food, odds and sods and just-in-cases and never had a problem.
Took it on the Kokoda Trail for 10 days. Carried three days food at a timeand all my gear. Only fault then was couldn't carry my 3l Camelback inside. Reverse slung it and carried it on my chest. Saved me from broken ribs on second last day too, when I slipped on rocks and landed heavily on half full bladder and it took the shock not my body, phew.
Had My Long Suffering But Ever Loved Wife make a couple of "rocket pockets" which has improved my capacity incredibly. Apart from a little bit of movement, they are brilliant. I carry 3l water one side, food in other. Cook gear in one external pocket, hammock, tarp and ground sheet in the other and misc items (poo shovel, loo paper, black tape, mini-binos, double sided velcro etc in the third.
Rarely have to go inside my pack during the day unless I need my raincoat. Works well for me. Done some pretty wild bush and never hung it up or lost gear yet (touch wood).
Second is a huge pack with an ALICE frame. Can't remember its name but Heavy Mongrel springs to mind when I carry it. Always have too much kit in it because I have the space. Again, similar system with the outside pockets works well.
Finally my EDC I bought on Saturday. It's a BlackWolf Classic 25l. Jury is still out but I can fit everything in. Have asked MLSBELW to add three internal pockets so my mobile phone, GPS and camera are more accessible and not banging around and a large button to support the water bladder but, apart from that, seems to fit the bill.
Sorry to, again, be so long winded. I could never say one word where many will do...
Cheers
Bloffy

BOD

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I love ALICE, she is the queen of the bush....

Rarely have to go inside my pack during the day unless I need my raincoat. Works well for me. Done some pretty wild bush and never hung it up or lost gear yet ....

Bloffy

I don't use an ALICE but I do insist on side pockets and use an old Deuter. Even if I am not trying to be silent the side pockets rarely, if ever, get snagged on things even off trail. It's more likely my shirt or hat gets snagged by the "wait-a-while" rattan.

And not having to go into the main compartment during the day as Bloffy says is a boon.

P4011920.jpg

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Lepmeister, I like that pack, how has the fabric on the sides held up to Aussie scrub? We're looking for a new ultralight pack for Bushchef.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Lepmeister, I like that pack, how has the fabric on the sides held up to Aussie scrub? We're looking for a new ultralight pack for Bushchef.

So far so good, I have only done a little "bush bashing" with it so not a real test I guess... I have been surprised with it when I have scrapped the side pockets on rocks and a couple of branches that have caught me out, no marks and damage to report.

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
5.11 vest used with 45 litre EPE day pack........50 litre stoney creek overnight pack...............Sea to Summit 100 litre Wilderness pack..........and soon to have Kifaru 85 litre ultralight pack.........

21st century pict

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Maxpidition Monsoon gearslinger + Maxpidition Janusa Extension Pocket.

In my pack I carry an OS map 1:25 000, Track field guide, Tide table and a 6" ruler marked off as a scale for photography in one polly bag. My tracking kit also includes a flexible tape measure, tracking stick, one or two film tubs and a large poly bag for finds, teeth, bones, skulls, cones, pellets, hair, feathers what ever I find, 8 pegs for marking off gaits, a note-sketch book, some plaster for casting tracks and a camera for keeping a photographic record, If you’re studying avian tracks, a protractor is also be very useful for measuring toe angle, and that's about it.

The main reason I like to keep it as light as possible I have around a dozen field guides I use depending on the time of year or area I will be tracking, Wild Flowers, Fungi, Butterflies, Birds, Sea Shores, Wild Foods, Trees, anyway you get the picture.
Along with all the usual kit in a daysack, hydration pack, food for 24 hours, knife, monocular, torch, small first aid kit, hat, gloves, bivi bag, dry bag, midge net, spare batters, bog role, dry wash gel, 10 meters of paracord, firesteel, an Acme predator call, whisper dust and a role of black tape, hence the reason to keep it as light as possible.
In winter I just cover the pack with a white shemagh and wear a German army snow camo poncho.

"This post is also in Tracking Kit ,just wanted to showoff the Maxpidition Bag"

For any extended trip’s of 24 hours + Snugpak Sleeka Force 35Lt Patrol Pack.

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Mein Gott!!!!! do you own a gear shop bubba????

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
No Mate, That is my new bushcraft room in my new house...great to finally get the kit organized. Have to lock the door so SWMBO doesn't see where the retirement fund has gone too!