What's your Pack?

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I don't have knowledge of the Paddy Pallin packs but I thought I would share a story. I was at a Christmas BBQ and talking to one of the women and telling her that I was into bushcraft & camping. She told me that Paddy and her father were friends, back when Paddy was a clerk in some office, and that they were keen on camping etc. Paddy got it into his head to try and make backpacks more waterproof and she can remember them having big vats of liquid that they experimented with by dunking the material in to make the, hpoefully waterproof, packs. So that's how it all started. Then she told me that her father wrote bushcraft books - turns out her father was Richard Graves. See http://www.chrismolloy.com/page.php?u=p131 to find out more about him.

We have said that we will go camping together some time so I'm looking forward to the campfire conversations.
When i was a boy, Graves was a hero of mine and has been one of the major influences in my bushcrafting style to this day!
i think that paddy made pack is very similar to the german and czech rucksacks
here is a link to a video, the guy shows us his vintage paddy made rucksack...woods...[video=youtube;BIvmNP-MLwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvmNP-MLwo[/video]

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
When i was a boy, Graves was a hero of mine and has been one of the major influences in my bushcrafting style to this day!
i think that paddy made pack is very similar to the german and czech rucksacks
here is a link to a video, the guy shows us his vintage paddy made rucksack...woods...
The pack in the video is the same as mine. It looks like the leather on mine may be original after all. Mine has the white foam pads added but they are held on by the same grey leather. Maybe it is a slightly later model with the pads.

It's cool that Paddy and Richard were friends. Way back when I was a Scout I read all of Richard Graves books. They are books that I have been looking for copies of so I can reread them again now.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a great old bloke living near us who knew Richard Graves, Dot Butler and the Dunphys back in the 50's. He was a member of the bushcraft club, which went on regular trips to practice their skills. We took an opportunity to mine him for information and he dug out one of the original Dunphy sketch maps with his name listed on it.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
They are books that I have been looking for copies of so I can reread them again now.
When I first discovered the Graves' books I found some being sold on eBay. I didn't buy any though but it might be worth checking it out.

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
My main pack is a Karrimor Sabre SF 80-130litre, and I also have the Sabre 45, which I keep interstate to save carting my camping gear back and forth on air travel. My overnight to 3 day pack is a Kifaru Express, which I think is about 38 litres, but I've added the optional side pockets and equipment pods (sort of a clip on drawstring bag so stash sleeping gear, jackets, boots etc if you run short of room in the main compartment). Hopefully the pics will attach. The Karrimor looks a bit sad and deflated as most of my gear is in the Kifaru at moment.

Re the Graves book, I've owned a copy for years, but recently tracked one down for a mate in the UK. There were none on Ebay at the time, but I found a decent used one in an online 2nd hand book store for about 75 bucks. So I guess they are classics for bush crafters !

Karrimor.jpgKifaru.jpg

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks fantastic. What are your thoughts on it? Is it comfortable with a reasonable load?
Is like a lot of older style pack I used in that it can be hard on the shoulder.Is maybe one of the best looking packs out there but maybe not for a multi day walks.More use for a go to the bush set up base camp for a few days carrying a fair bit of gear. For that kind of trip or canoe trips its perfect.

Welcome to have a borrow sometime mate...

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Is like a lot of older style pack I used in that it can be hard on the shoulder.Is maybe one of the best looking packs out there but maybe not for a multi day walks.More use for a go to the bush set up base camp for a few days carrying a fair bit of gear. For that kind of trip or canoe trips its perfect.

Welcome to have a borrow sometime mate...
Thanks for the feedback, I guess no real surprise there. Yeah would like to give it a go down the track. Perhaps I might have a bit of gear that you may be interested in testing. Planing on going to the October meet at Blakes so maybe have a look at it then if you are going?

I've just discovered the One Planet Vertex, which is not a traditional pack (although canvas), but makes an excellent bushcraft pack (super comfy) and has a nice sleeve for a small axe.

JR112

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I am using a ribs pack with a very very old nike hiking bag which works very well together. I have just ordered a kelty cache hauler external frame pack which i have been wanting for about 2 years now. I will keep you all updated and post some pictures of the packs once i get the cache hauler

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
When not doing overnighter usually have belt kit contents below with 2 1 litre Nalgenes
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375422552.406267.jpg

Map, flagging tape, PLB, FAK, survival kit, Lighter, poncho, space blanket, light stick, Petzl, cordage, compass, whistles, matches, plastic bags, sanitisers wipe, dunny roll, camera, monocular, batteries, sharpener, GPS, pencil and pad, SAK, biro.

There's still room in the bum bag for lunch.

Looking at it now laid out, I think it needs a bit of tinkering for example I don't think the sharpener is necessary, there is probably too much cordage.

Any omissions or other suggestions gratefully received.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thrud, this is just me thinking out aloud and not a criticism, but have you ever tried to set up a shelter with the poncho or space blanket with the cordage in your kit? If you haven't, give it a shot, and see how much you are either left over with or left wanting. With those fairly flimsy pieces of kit, you will need a ridgeline, and also will need to tie out the corners by using a round pebble or smooth piece of stick in a corner with cordage. You could also use duct tape or something similar to reinforce the tie-out spots... I know it gave me a lot more confidence in my kit when I actually tried this, and reinforced the cordage as kit I never wanted to leave behind or skimp on. Plenty of hours reverse-wrapping primitive cordage have shown me that it is not something I want to be doing to get my shelter up when I get benighted.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Good point AP. I only just realised at the last WA meet just how much I needed for the tarp! I will modify the cordage carry accordingly, thank you.

Cdustbehindme

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Work - 5.11 Rush Moab 10 sling pack. Carries all my EDC items. Took me a long time to pick it, but I'm very happy with it.

Short hikes - Platatac Mac combo. Mollee Chest rig with small 10litre pack on back I have added Lots of pouches and love it.

Long hikes - Macpac canyon (I think) big single opening heavy duty pack. I usually ice lots of pockets but his doesn't get caught n anything and is pretty dust and water resistant. I have added some extra clips and things so it can take the front half (chest rig) of my mac combo from platatac

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;ldvfXlSNehQ]http://youtu.be/ldvfXlSNehQ[/video]

My new pack the m39 Swedish rucksack..

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
My EDC for the last 10 years Black Wolf Cambridge 35lt

The Black Wolf has many uses in this house including a cat bed for the Black Cat lol

and something "used" I just picked up recently Black Wolf Can Cun 70lt, this has a detchable day pack on the front which is very handy if the cat is sleeping on my other pack :)

I really like these Black Wolf packs, Aussie Owned, Aussie Made, Cordura, they don't rip, they don't get hung up on foliage, plenty of pockets to separate gear.
I bought the Cambridge one after years of going through cheap packs that never lasted on my fishing hikes to remote places, so I finally spent my money and bought a great product that's still going strong 10 years later, only problem I have had was a cord zipper pull broke, big deal, money well spent :D