BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Who Likes And Uses Hurricane Lamps..?

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I do like these old school hurricane lamps anyone else a fan?I use mine a home as well as on more car camping trips..I run mine off citronella oil which helps with the mossies..

Camp 2015 185.jpg

Camp 2015 174.jpg

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Citronella oil sounds like a good idea. How does that compare to using Kerosene?

Reconstructed

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I love those Deitz lamps for the simple fact they can run off just about anything - from kero to citro to olive oil
The old school and heavy duty design and build is also a plus as well as the fact it recycles the fumes to re-burn them.. just a full proof bushcraft / heirloom item..

*(Now I'm going hunting to see where I can get one)

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
We used to use those lanterns when I was growing up, either citronella or lantern oil, whatever that was

sureformsandbc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I love these things, they have a more authentic feel for me than an electric/ battery powered light, can't really explain why. Also the citronella (instead of kero as per Howling Dingo) definitely helps with the mozzie situation. My understanding is that citronella is predominately kerosine, I was told this it's not based off any technical data, but it does appear to burn pretty much the same in my experience.

Qually

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I do like the atmosphere of a hurricane lamp over the bright white light of a butane lamp when car camping. I bought a heap of the mini ones from thailand last time I was there, which are a good compromise and still give off a good amount of light.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Citronella oil sounds like a good idea. How does that compare to using Kerosene?

I never did any kind of test but seem to burn as well as Kerosene.Smells better but is a few dollars more a bottle last time I looked..

I love those Deitz lamps for the simple fact they can run off just about anything - from kero to citro to olive oil
The old school and heavy duty design and build is also a plus as well as the fact it recycles the fumes to re-burn them.. just a full proof bushcraft / heirloom item..

*(Now I'm going hunting to see where I can get one)

I got one a car boot sale for $5 and the other a a second hand store for $15.So they are out there you just need to keep a eye out.I have seen crazy prices in some of the trendy vintage stores..

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
We have two that stay as center pieces on our kitchen table.They are used very frequently,due to our electric goes out on a regular basis.we like them for their soft light and silent operation.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I really like them, but don't have one.

Its one of those those things on my list and one day I'll spot one ...

You can get a Chinese one for $10 or less, but I'll wait !

peter.

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend at work who had switched from hurricane lamps to LED lamps for the convenience factor. He found that moths are attracted to the light and will settle all over the LED lamps making them effectively useless unless shaken periodically to chase the bugs away. With the gentle heat from a hurricane lamp the bugs might land but don't stay long so the light isn't blocked. He now leaves the LEDs at home for emergency use and has switched back to the hurricanes for camping.

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I use mine often when out doing the chores/checking the pens after dark but usual also have a head lamp for if I need to use both hands. I love the lantern as the smell reminds me of when I was little and we use to milk the cow by the light of the lantern.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
We have three of the traditional hurricanes for camping and blackouts also have my great gran mums old glass one, not sure how old it is, it runs off kero and puts out a huge light, it's quiet old now.

image.jpg

beasto

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Awesome thing. Similar devices can be made pretty easily out of every day items at home. Though these really do have a welcoming glow

Kaninmaskwa

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of hurricane lanterns. I use for camping and as emergency lighting or for just ambiance with a glass of red.

I've been using all kinds for about 35years now. It was not until I was looking for the best oil lanterns I could find to meet my needs on our yacht that I ended up with Dietz hurricane lanterns. I had tried several marine oil lanterns but they really only offered esthetics.
That's when I turned back to the one design that has always served me well the tried and true hurricane lantern. In particular I favor the Dietz 76. A good all round lantern.
In the past I mostly used cheap Chinese ones. After owning some proper vintage 76 Dietz the quality is far superior. Some of the features of a proper (read not cheaply design Ed only to look like a true hurricane lantern) hurricane lantern that sets them above a standard oil lantern.
1) they will self extinguish if tipped over and wick has been set correctly.
2) leak proof font and cap if tipped over
3) easy to clean globe and access wick
3) globe protected if nocked
4) cold or hot blast (I prefer cold) which has been spoke about earlier.
5) stable flame in high winds hey that's why the call them a hurricane lantern to begin with.

For camping I have some loaded with citronella oil. But I do not run that in my vintage 76 indoor hurricane lanterns. Those I only use low odor kerosene. Dies can clog wicks. The recommendation is for best performance not to switch back and forth either. Meaning if you have used citronella oil not to then use low odor or other without changing the wick. Apparently it can further reduce the effectiveness of the wick (I'm not sure how much that matters). For whatever it's worth though citronella has additives in it that may make it much higher risk to use indoors.

b889246740914567e2c9a920cf373478.jpg

7d64822281a24a96ab3fc72fb019fc30.jpg

vanNek

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Yeah we use a knock off deitz available from BCF etc.

We run the wax works bug kill oil on the veranda in summer. Absolutely love them!

"No half measures......"

oldigger

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I do like the atmosphere of a hurricane lamp over the bright white light of a butane lamp when car camping. I bought a heap of the mini ones from thailand last time I was there, which are a good compromise and still give off a good amount of light.

I thought about getting one of these scaled down lamps, but feel compelled to persist with my 30 year old Candle Lantern, due to years of ridicule from "friends" who are obviously jealous (one told me that the CL isn't actually a "light." He suggested that it is actually a "dark.") Jealousy does awful things to people!

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I thought about getting one of these scaled down lamps, but feel compelled to persist with my 30 year old Candle Lantern, due to years of ridicule from "friends" who are obviously jealous (one told me that the CL isn't actually a "light." He suggested that it is actually a "dark.") Jealousy does awful things to people!

I think candle lanterns are great I have a brass one which I have had for almost 20 years still going great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theslothman

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Ive got a couple of cheap ones id got from a $2 type shop years ago. They work a treat. just don't knock it over. lol
I use the citronella too. Its good stuff.

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Here are my Dietz lamps which I have had for many years and not used for quite some time. Took them out for a camp just to refresh my memory a bit, the large one is a Dietz Blizzard with a 26 hour font and 1 inch wick which gives 12 candle power output.

Quite bright enough as a reading lamp at a camping table.

The smaller is a Dietz Juniour with a 12 hour font 5/8 inch wick and 9 candle power output.

Prefer to burn unscented kerosene as have read that citronella oil can foul up the wicks over a period of time.

The Blizzard will stay alight even in a very strong wind.

Dietz Lamps nite photo.JPGDietz Lamps.jpg

Upon returning home thought it was time to give both a overhaul. Cleaned away any burnt carbon and trimmed the wicks which has improved the flame and light output a bit.

Might take them out again on my next trip as hurricane lamps are so easy to operate.