Wild taro?

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Found this in a creek run off in the bush today,
I’m hoping it’s taro ,(colocasia esculenta) ,
If it is it is exciting to find such a staple bush food growing wild.
Brought some back after digging out , to do a positive I.d. First . A935D25B-38EB-4750-9EA8-0C6AAF39AF1B.jpeg

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Most likely it’s cunjevoi which is poisonous. Alocasia brisbanensis.

Be careful.

KB

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the cunjevoi I know up here is a darker green and glossy, and the leaves are attached to the stem differently, which usually means they point upward or outwards.

I am not familiar with the name you mentioned koalaboi though I have been looking it up .

These ones I found the stem attaches to beneath the bottom of the leave in a way that the leave points downward, and is a lighter green color beneath the leave.

Here is a pic of them,

E7048F93-FFD2-4D2C-A419-25AF7DFFB7E2.jpeg

And here are their corms. I picked smaller plants, so I would say they will be larger on some too,
5B70F08D-8A11-4B54-B8DB-424889EE2A4E.jpeg

Here are the leaves on the right of those I found , next to some taro I am growing (left) that was given to me by some people from png.
D6F6BF87-3DAE-4CB2-8195-ABB88A47CA43.png
I thought they could help me identifying them, however apart from it looking different , and saying it could possibly be wild taro which they said people there don’t really eat . They couldn’t say either ,
Another gardener I know couldn’t tell either. So more investigating.

As there is so many varieties some and similar looking plants some toxic like cunjevoi I don’t want to take chances either.

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
so a follow up , boiled some of the ‘suspect ‘ corm and some actual known Taro ,
To observe and compare .

The suspect corm turned a grey purple color while the actual Taro stayed white .

Both were white to begin.

I was subconsciously singing that Alice cooper song , “your lips are venomous poison”

So decided it was some bad juju. And ended the curiosity for now.

8B759166-9F2A-4657-9A83-7658643FC27D.jpeg

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
In this old ww2 bush tucker / survival training vid ,
there is a small mention of wild taro identification , it says that ’Taro ‘
has a purple spot on top of the leave and if it’s not there it’s the poisonous ’cunjevoi ‘instead.

I checked the actual taro I’m growing , some taro has a purple spot some doesn’t . It’s where the purple stem attaches .

Last edited: